(the “BL”, see http://www.blender.org/BL/ )
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Blender Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This text supersedes the previous BL description, called Blender License 1.0.
When the Blender source code was released in 2002, the Blender Foundation reserved
the right to offer licenses outside of the GNU GPL. This so-called “dual license”
model was chosen to provide potential revenues for the Blender Foundation.
The BL has not been activated. Partially because;
- there has to be a clear benefit for Blender itself and its community of
developers and users.
- the developers who have copyrighted additions to the source code need to approve
- the (c) holder NaN Holding has to approve on a standard License Contract
But most important;
- the Blender Foundation is financially healthy, based on community support
(e-shop sales), sponsoring and subsidy grants
- current focus for the Blender Foundation is to not set up any commercial
activity related to Blender development.
- the GNU GPL provides sufficient freedom for third parties to conduct business
For these reasons we’ve decided to cancel the BL offering for an indefinite period.
Third parties interested to discuss usage or exploitation of Blender can email
firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Chairman Blender Foundation.