import/export obj between 3dsmax and blender problems

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ddeo

import/export obj between 3dsmax and blender problems

Postby ddeo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 am

Hi. I'm using Blender for modelling, but I need to export my models into 3dsmax. Sometimes I need to do opposite. I've tried to use different formats, obj gives me best results, except few issues:
1. After exporting from Blender to 3dsmax I need to import models as one object, because if objects are touching theirselves I'm getting distorted "something". If I import objects into 3dsmax which were not touching theirselves then every object will be in centre of the scene. I have no issues with importing back again to blender obj exported from blender. Exported model is also displaying correctly on p3d.in website (but I think website is importing models as one mesh). So right now I'm exporting my models as one object and I'm telling people who use 3dsmax to separate models manually. obj exported from 3dsmax and imported into blender doesn't have these issues. All objects are in the correct place on the scane and separate, but there is different issue with importing obj files into blender which were exported from 3dsmax, this runs into second problem.
2: After importing file into Blender, which was exported from 3dsmax models are loosing smooth groups (to make smooth group edges were split/cutted) I have to rework smooth groups manually in Blender. Again, p3d.in reads smooth group from the same obj file correctly, only Blender doesn't import smooth groups at all (I have checked import smooth groups while importing file). Blender however is importing smooth groups from obj file, which was exported from Blender. But after importing and reexporting that file in 3dsmax Blender is not reading anymore smooth groups (p3d.in is still reading smooth groups correctly at that part). It looks like Blender is removing double verts from obj exported from 3dsmax.

If somebody has ideas how I could fix above problems then I can send file via PM.

Darkmatterial

Re: import/export obj between 3dsmax and blender problems

Postby Darkmatterial » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:19 pm

ddeo wrote:Hi. I'm using Blender for modelling, but I need to export my models into 3dsmax. Sometimes I need to do opposite. I've tried to use different formats, obj gives me best results, except few issues:
1. After exporting from Blender to 3dsmax I need to import models as one object, because if objects are touching theirselves I'm getting distorted "something". If I import objects into 3dsmax which were not touching theirselves then every object will be in centre of the scene. I have no issues with importing back again to blender obj exported from blender. Exported model is also displaying correctly on p3d.in website (but I think website is importing models as one mesh). So right now I'm exporting my models as one object and I'm telling people who use 3dsmax to separate models manually. obj exported from 3dsmax and imported into blender doesn't have these issues. All objects are in the correct place on the scane and separate, but there is different issue with importing obj files into blender which were exported from 3dsmax, this runs into second problem.
2: After importing file into Blender, which was exported from 3dsmax models are loosing smooth groups (to make smooth group edges were split/cutted) I have to rework smooth groups manually in Blender. Again, p3d.in reads smooth group from the same obj file correctly, only Blender doesn't import smooth groups at all (I have checked import smooth groups while importing file). Blender however is importing smooth groups from obj file, which was exported from Blender. But after importing and reexporting that file in 3dsmax Blender is not reading anymore smooth groups (p3d.in is still reading smooth groups correctly at that part). It looks like Blender is removing double verts from obj exported from 3dsmax.

If somebody has ideas how I could fix above problems then I can send file via PM.
Hello I have the same problem when importing an .obj file from Cinema 4D into blender it preserves the apperance and construction lines, once I export the same object from blender it creates a freaking poligon chaos, even thou the basic shape remains the same the inner skeleton is a mess as I said before, have discovered any solution?
Cheers

ddeo

Postby ddeo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

Hi, I've found better way to import/export. Right now I have only problem with exporting models into 3dsmax, import into blender works GREAT.

To import into Blender: I use obj, model is not loosing smooth groups as I said before. All what needs to be done is to add modifier called Edge Split and check "Sharp Edges" only. After doing that model should have all smooth groups loaded correctly.

To export from Blender: I've started using collada, 3dsmax is importing .dae files almost always correctly. I had still small problems when I had too many objects on the scene and when the objects were mirrored. Mesh looked slightly "kicked", but it was not totally destroyed like before, it looked like parts of verticies were slightly moved to one side (as I said kicked). :) I will still have to test it and see why it is doing that, but I have to say that I did not had a problems with importing into max less number of objects that way, also when I merged "kicked" objects to correct ones everything went fine (I had still few objects on the scene). Origin of different objects remained the same, smooth groups were imported correctly. I call it success. :)

ddeo

Postby ddeo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:45 am

ddeo wrote:Hi, I've found better way to import/export. Right now I have only problem with exporting models into 3dsmax, import into blender works GREAT.

To import into Blender: I use obj, model is not loosing smooth groups as I said before. All what needs to be done is to add modifier called Edge Split and check "Sharp Edges" only. After doing that model should have all smooth groups loaded correctly.

To export from Blender: I've started using collada, 3dsmax is importing .dae files almost always correctly. I had still small problems when I had too many objects on the scene and when the objects were mirrored. Mesh looked slightly "kicked", but it was not totally destroyed like before, it looked like parts of verticies were slightly moved to one side (as I said kicked). :) I will still have to test it and see why it is doing that, but I have to say that I did not had a problems with importing into max less number of objects that way, also when I merged "kicked" objects to correct ones everything went fine (I had still few objects on the scene). Origin of different objects remained the same, smooth groups were imported correctly. I call it success. :)

edit: I have to say that I did exported it to .dae still on 2.63 version, since 2.64 has improved .dae export I believe with proper settings issue will not remain. :)

Return to “Interface & Tools”