Precise measurements.

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tvvladimir

Precise measurements.

Postby tvvladimir » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 am

Hi,

A suggestion from me would be, to add precise measurements (mm, pixels, meters) in blender. As a designer in CAD modelling it would help me a lot to make experimental modelling in Blender. Because first I use blender for finding teh rights shape and after I use Solidworks for actually model. Also I use blender for architecture, so sometimes I have the building plans from an architect and I build them using Blender. precise measurements would help alot!

Thanks alot for hearing me out.

EDIT: I know you have measurements in pixels, but precize measurements would be better, like entering all measurements manually , so that other measurements wouldn't change or change accordingly (a bit like working with CAD programs)

stiv

Postby stiv » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Coordinate values in Blender are not pixels, but Blender units - dimensionless values in the coordinate space. They are accurate to about seven significant digits (IEEE floats). They are normally displayed with 3 digits past the decimal point, but you can enter numbers manually (NKEY) and see the full value via python.

tvvladimir

Postby tvvladimir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 am

Yes ok you got units but still it would be nice to have a tool that allows things like: 1. If I change one side to "a", another side to "b", then "c" is slf calculated. 2 Or for example if I make: these circles all are of equal size, then if one circle is size "z" then all other circles become size "z" automatically. 3 Or for example I can set up that this and this side are paralell, or assign other geometrical properties like in CAD programs. This makes life easy.

Skaruts

Postby Skaruts » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 pm

I agree with this. Having the option to define a prefered (or needed) measurement unit is a must.

I do models for games and I often find myself turning my brain into a calculator because I need to convert blender units into whatever other type of units I need.

Fortunately, when I'm modeling for Valve's Source Engine, I know that 1 BU = 1 inch. But I still have to rely on the higher grid squares to adjust the lengths, which forces me to constantly be zooming in and out.

So, I guess it'd also be useful to add to this feature an option to keep larger squares thicker when zoomed in. Independently of the chosen units.

McGuireV10

Postby McGuireV10 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 am

Another vote for this. Although I don't think any specific unit needs to be specified, just the dimensions of the workspace. (Although units would be nice, of course... presuming the additional capability of specifying distances in other units within the same workspace... Visio handles this nicely, in fact.)

For example, I'm starting a model of a 2-square-mile site plan... 14,000 feet x 6300 feet, with objects as small as 5 feet, with potentially smaller details. (The model will later be exported to a different system.) I can't even decide that 1 BU is 10 feet, because Blender can't cope with 1,400 BUs.

Optimally I'd like to tell Blender, "My workspace is 14000 units," and let Blender do the work for me. Whether those units are feet, millimeters, or parsecs shouldn't matter. And whether they internally end up being a 0-1000 scale or whatever, also shouldn't matter.

Of course... I see this was being discussed eight years ago. Ugh.

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

dhodges38

Dimentions

Postby dhodges38 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 am

I downloaded Blender 2.61 about a week ago, and I find myself looking for absolute units of distance, ie. Meter, cm, Foot or in. Is it, that I am just not finding it, or does it not exist? After doing some reading, it came to my attention that there is a BU (Blender unit). If so, is it consistent, and how would one bring up dimentions between points, or the X,Y,Z coordinates of a given point? I can deal with BU's if they are all the same. I and my fellow users would like the help.

Thanks for the great software,
Best Reguards; DHodges

ldo

Postby ldo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 am

Under the Scene properties tab, you can choose what units to display, from “None”, “Metric” or “Imperial”, and whether angles should be shown in degrees or radians. There is also a choice of scale factor for the linear units (1.0 means 1 BU = 1 m), and a “Separate Units” display option.

These settings affect the numbers shown in the Properties shelf, as well as those shown on the object in Edit mode as enabled under the “Mesh Display” panel.

richpoore

Postby richpoore » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm a newbie to blender but found a youtube video detailing how to simply use metric or emperial measurements within blender. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hr03JFBMU8
I'm not sure if this is a new addition to this version of blender but it seems pretty easy.

reidh

Units

Postby reidh » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:04 am

Once I am in imperial units with separate units checked, how do I move in increments of 6" by keyboard entry? I can't? I have to physically move object by hand ? Not CAD like. I know Blender is not Cad like, but how could I help to make it sew?
That which does not kill me, is a pathetic loser.

Tehrasha

Re: Units

Postby Tehrasha » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:11 am

reidh wrote:Once I am in imperial units with separate units checked, how do I move in increments of 6" by keyboard entry? I can't? I have to physically move object by hand ? Not CAD like. I know Blender is not Cad like, but how could I help to make it sew?

This might be some help...

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blend ... -units.php

It tells what settings and scaling you need to change to make Blender play nice (or at least nicer) with Imperial Units.

reidh

Postby reidh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank You TERASHA whither it helps me or not. Your reply is a obviously heartfelt display of your generosity. And if it does help, then I am in your debt. I have posted a victorian cottage, and willy ley's moon lander models on BlendSwap.

I'm not really serious about my signature quote. :lol:
That which does not kill me, is a pathetic loser.

Return to “Testing Builds”