Multiple actions in the ACTION EDITOR 2.63 & 2.64

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

walldiv

Multiple actions in the ACTION EDITOR 2.63 & 2.64

Postby walldiv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 am

I am having problems with doign multiple actions in the action editor on a project.

I have a fully rigged character (LowPoly Game Character Training dvd from JWilliamson) and i cannot for the life of me get a successful animation saved.

I'll get 1 whole animation (IE: idle stance) down and done. I click the X next to the ACTION_NAME fieldbox, and click NEW, assign it a name (IE: WalkStance) and then click the F.

I've tried it with 0 rigs selected, as well with 1-many rigs selected, and click F after naming the action.

now. . when i alter this SECOND animation, my first animation either A: gets overwritten completely, or B: parts of the animation (IE: head, shoulder1/2, footA/B) get overwritten with the 2nd animations datablocks.

What am i doing wrong, how do people make movies like Sintel, Tears of Steel and other works of masterpeice with this software and I cannot even get 2 simple animations saved in the same project file?

My utlimate question:
How do i setup an action in the action editor correctly (please hold my hand, i've watched many films on youtube regarding this, have read it in the Blender Foundations book as well watched JWilliamson's tutorials and copied them verbatum. . all to no success).

Many thanks to those that help!

Ersatzanime

Re: Multiple actions in the ACTION EDITOR 2.63 & 2.64

Postby Ersatzanime » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:07 am

walldiv wrote:now. . when i alter this SECOND animation, my first animation either A: gets overwritten completely, or B: parts of the animation (IE: head, shoulder1/2, footA/B) get overwritten with the 2nd animations datablocks.

I'm having similar issues, suddenly the half dozen animations I was working on are all overwritten with keyframes from one of the animations.

I can recover the animations from the previous iterations of the autosave but it seems to me something is going wrong here

Ersatzanime

Re: Multiple actions in the ACTION EDITOR 2.63 & 2.64

Postby Ersatzanime » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:33 am

Ersatzanime wrote:I'm having similar issues, suddenly the half dozen animations I was working on are all overwritten with keyframes from one of

Okay, it seems that when the focus is on the mesh object instead of the rig the animations act like this (I'm guessing it's supposed to be the main animation track as determined by the NLA editor?) but when I go back into the rig's pose mode the animations are all there doing what they should.

Cygon

Postby Cygon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:33 pm

I've tried it with some dummy objects a few times just to get the hang of it.

You seem to have already picked up that the "F" button is vital.

Another thing I noticed is that pressing I (insert keyframe) takes a snapshot of the currently selected bones in their currently positions and saves it. If you want to tweak the pose after that, I noticed that you have to remove the keyframe and insert a new one. Bit if you can manage one whole animation, you probably figured that out already, too...

What helped me most what this seven minute YouTube video which shows how to create two actions without any fuzz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb152Qncn2s

Other than that, I can only recommend doing some dry exercises with simple models, maybe you can figure out which workflows succeed and which fail and work on your real model pedantically following the path that worked ;)

Return to “Animation”