2.57b texture painting doesn't work

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bill2reg

2.57b texture painting doesn't work

Postby bill2reg » Sun May 01, 2011 11:52 pm

When in texture paint mode, the brush(es) won't move when I try to paint. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm new to Blender so it may be that I'm overlooking something.

ElGuapo

Texture paint doesn't work

Postby ElGuapo » Thu May 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Exactly the same thing happens to me. Mesh unwraps OK. I can see the flattened mesh in the UV editor but when I change to texture paint in the 3d window the flattened mesh disappears from the UV editor and when I try to paint onto the mesh in the 3d window the brush won't move and will not paint.

UPDATE: I just needed to save the image before using texture paint - that's all. In the UV image editor, after unwrapping, choose new image and then save as...
Once it's saved the brush works fine.

jimmack

Re: 2.57b texture painting doesn't work

Postby jimmack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:54 pm

bill2reg wrote:When in texture paint mode, the brush(es) won't move when I try to paint. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm new to Blender so it may be that I'm overlooking something.

I'm having exactly the same issue as you describe (on 2.58), but this has nothing to do with UV unwrapping and painting on that. I've also just watched the following video:

http://www.sintel.org/videos/image-re-projection/comment-page-1/#comment-7488

But for my model, the Quick Edit works and opens the image in The Gimp, but when I've saved the new alpha layer, the Apply button doesn't bring it back into the model as the video suggests.

I thought I'd try just painting on the model to see if it was simply a problem of visibility, but the brush sticks after clicking (as described by bill2reg). Vertex paint lets the brush move, but produces no changes. Weight paint is behaving OK.

Does it need some material or texture settings added before this works?

Algomorph

Same issue still in Blender 2.63.13 r48341

Postby Algomorph » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 pm

This seems like a very sporadic, hard to track issue.
I'm experiencing exactly the same thing as the three gentlemen above.
When I try to get the texture paint mode to work on an image, it sometimes works and sometimes, does not (see descriptions of that above).
So I spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what I've missed out, repeating the following actions in various combinations:
    -Re-opening the image in image editor.
    -Enabling painting in image editor.
    -In properties, making sure the texture is applied to the object's material, and mapped to its UV coordinates.
    -Making sure this texture is using the same image as the one opened in image editor.
    -Going into edit mode, making sure all my faces are selected and checking whether the UVs are drawn on top of the image in the image editor.
    -Going back to the texture mode and trying to paint, to discover that the paint cursor hangs in one spot, even though the mouse cursor is still moving.
    -I select some color in the texture editor and paint directly there, it works fine. I switch over to my 3D view and am able to jab a tiny dot of the same color for just a moment, after which the 3D painting stops working again and reverts to the same symptoms.

Finally, I give up and close Blender. Fifteen minutes later I (stubborn as I am) open up blender again and load the scene (which I've saved just before closing). BAM! Texture painting works as if it's been working all along.

Algomorph

P.S.

Postby Algomorph » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Sorry to double-post, but for some reason I can't see the subject of my post, where I specified the version.

I'm using the last Blender build, right now it's 2.63.13 r48341.

borrus

Also seeing this in 2.63a

Postby borrus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:27 am

Also seeing this today with 2.63a. I've wondered, like you, if there's something I've not set correctly, but it all looks good. I can even paint the texture in the image window if i select 'Image Painting', but nothing happens if I try to actually paint in the 3D view onto the model directly.

borrus

Re: Also seeing this in 2.63a

Postby borrus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Update: in my case, texture-painting directly on the model in 3D view works fine for 'brush' (solid colouring) and even works for 'TexDraw' with some textures, but fails for others (as soon as LMB is pressed, for drawing, cursor refuses to move).

For those that fail with the defaults, I found that turning off the project-paint option resulted in the problem being resolved (but obviously with the loss of the benefit of that feature). I haven't yet managed to figure what is peculiar to such textures in terms of file format (psd, png), number of layers (still happens with flat), etc.

TeamAntonGames

Postby TeamAntonGames » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Hello. I'm new to blender (well...not a n00b). I also have a problem with texture paint. When I'm painting the body, it works fine. But when I paint the head it works really slow. And when I paint the eyes, it stops working and shuts down. I have trying to unwrap and save image and all that, but it keeps on repeating. Any way to solve this problem?

xDarkShadowKnightx

Postby xDarkShadowKnightx » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:56 pm

I've been having trouble with this exact problem too, but I think I've found the solution. All I did was go to my model's uv map in the UV/Image Editor while in edit mode and choose the image I wanted to paint on. It's as simple as that. Just make sure your in Edit Mode and have your entire model selected (at least that's what I did). Hope this helps!

Ubrasaur

Re: 2.57b texture painting doesn't work

Postby Ubrasaur » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:51 am

bill2reg wrote:When in texture paint mode, the brush(es) won't move when I try to paint. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm new to Blender so it may be that I'm overlooking something.

I thought I saw this problem and it was driving me crazy. Then I realized I just had "Smooth Stroke" on and hadn't moved my mouse far enough to get the brush to move.

aoikiwi

Postby aoikiwi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Had the same problem as well. When i unchecked project paint the brush cursor started to move again, but i still couldn't put down any paint. Then i went under the textures tab of the texture paint menu and found out that it had somehow default assigned an image; deleted that and suddenly texture paint is working fine. :)

gholm

Found a solution

Postby gholm » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 am

I just had the same problem, and could not paint in the 3d view.
I finally solved it by opening the model in Edit mode (Faces), selecting all faces, and then in a UV/Image editor, reloading the background image under the UV coordinates. Once it reloaded, I could paint in the 3d view again.

Surely that can't be a feature....just seems too convoluted

Return to “Interface & Tools”