SVG Slices to Blender Mesh

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

shaneburke

SVG Slices to Blender Mesh

Postby shaneburke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 am

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to create a mesh in Blender from a series of SVG paths. I am trying to create an accurate 3D model of the brain, spinal cord, and vasculature to aid in neuroanatomy instruction. Currently, I am tracing each component that I want to highlight from MRI cross sections in Adobe Illustrator and maintaining each component on separate layers, so I will be able to form a separate mesh in blender to isolate important structures.

My Questions:
1) Does blender allow one to import a series of SVGs and create a mesh automatically (I know it's easy to import one path)?
2) If not, is there a way to script in Blender so I can import each SVG path and offset it by a pre-defined amount?
3) Is there a way to connect the SVG slices longitudinally to form a mesh (if it can't be done by Blender automatically)?

Thanks in advance!
Shane Burke

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:40 am

Blender can import SVG, so it's also possible to import a whole folder, if not with UI, then with python scripting.

After import, BSurfaces addon should be capable of creating a 3d mesh from your slices:
http://bsurfaces.info/
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 pm

oh well, BSurfaces should work for outlines, but probably not for your case. I worry you need a special app for medical usage.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

shaneburke

Postby shaneburke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Number 3 in the original post was the problem I was really worried about, but Bsurfaces is exactly what I need! I'll give it a shot over the Thanksgiving break and post my workflow process for everyone's future reference.
Shane Burke

shaneburke

Postby shaneburke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 pm

CoDEmanX wrote:oh well, BSurfaces should work for outlines, but probably not for your case. I worry you need a special app for medical usage.

I'm actually tracing the components and exporting SVG curves, so no DICOM interpretation is necessary. We're not trying to represent data, but rather create a cinematic fly-through for teaching purposes. The production quality of Blender is what attracted me to it. If anyone needs to represent data, 3DSlicer (http://www.slicer.org) which is maintained by a group at Brigham and Women's hospital is a great tool for that.
Shane Burke

Return to “Academic & Research”