Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Build fails on amd64 and i386 Ubuntu 12.04 for several days

mikevan

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 am
I got a successful compile a couple days ago after problems with locales which I think Ton fixed. Since then, however, the linker has been failing again. Am using the SVN libs and have the basic Ubuntu 12.04 build environment (both on amd64 with CUDA and i386 no-CUDA) that I've used compiling SVN for several months now, plus more recently python3.3 in /opt. I even tried a virgin download from SVN both trunk and libs with the same results. Here are the errors:

Code:
Install file: "intern/cycles/doc/license/Blender.txt" as "/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/install/linux/2.64/scripts/addons/cycles/license/Blender.txt"
Install file: "/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/intern/cycles/kernel/kernel_sm_21.cubin" as "/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/install/linux/2.64/scripts/addons/cycles/lib/kernel_sm_21.cubin"
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_filename(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x4a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::filename() const'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_dirname(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::parent_path() const'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_join(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x22c): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::operator/=(boost::filesystem::path const&)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_exists(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x609): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_create_directories(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x6b5): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::create_directories(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_modified_time(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x7eb): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x845): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::last_write_time(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_files_md5_hash_recursive(ccl::MD5Hash&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&) [clone .constprop.119]':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x922): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_path.cpp:(.text+0x9f7): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_construct(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_path.cpp:(.text+0xa94): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_increment(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_path.cpp:(.text+0xabb): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::directory_entry::m_get_status(boost::system::error_code*) const'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `ccl::path_read_binary(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::vector<unsigned char, std::allocator<unsigned char> >&)':
util_path.cpp:(.text+0xd8f): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::file_size(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `boost::detail::sp_counted_impl_p<boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp>::dispose()':
util_path.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost6detail17sp_counted_impl_pINS_10filesystem6detail11dir_itr_impEE7disposeEv[boost::detail::sp_counted_impl_p<boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp>::dispose()]+0x17): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_close(void*&, void*&)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_path.o): In function `void boost::checked_delete<boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp>(boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp*)':
util_path.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost14checked_deleteINS_10filesystem6detail11dir_itr_impEEEvPT_[void boost::checked_delete<boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp>(boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_imp*)]+0x16): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::dir_itr_close(void*&, void*&)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(util_cache.o): In function `ccl::Cache::clear_except(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::set<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::less<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&)':
util_cache.cpp:(.text+0x779): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_cache.cpp:(.text+0x845): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_construct(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_cache.cpp:(.text+0x889): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::filename() const'
util_cache.cpp:(.text+0x94d): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_increment(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::system::error_code*)'
util_cache.cpp:(.text+0xab0): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::remove(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(imageioplugin.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::(anonymous namespace)::catalog_all_plugins(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
imageioplugin.cpp:(.text+0x1539): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_construct(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
imageioplugin.cpp:(.text+0x1566): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::directory_iterator_increment(boost::filesystem::directory_iterator&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::replace_extension(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x1b0): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::replace_extension(boost::filesystem::path const&)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::extension(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x2aa): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::extension() const'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::exists(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x3a4): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::is_regular(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x474): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::searchpath_find(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > > const&, bool)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x60e): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::codecvt()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x621): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_append_separator_if_needed()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x645): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_erase_redundant_separator(unsigned long)'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x6f7): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::codecvt()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x70a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_append_separator_if_needed()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x74a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_erase_redundant_separator(unsigned long)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::is_directory(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x7b4): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::filename(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x87a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::filename() const'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/bin/blender] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

mikevan

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm
mikevan wrote:
I got a successful compile a couple days ago after problems with locales which I think Ton fixed. Since then, however, the linker has been failing again. Am using the SVN libs and have the basic Ubuntu 12.04 build environment (both on amd64 with CUDA and i386 no-CUDA) that I've used compiling SVN for several months now, plus more recently python3.3 in /opt. I even tried a virgin download from SVN both trunk and libs with the same results. Here are the errors:

Code:

filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x60e): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::codecvt()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x621): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_append_separator_if_needed()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x645): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_erase_redundant_separator(unsigned long)'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x6f7): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::codecvt()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x70a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_append_separator_if_needed()'
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x74a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::m_erase_redundant_separator(unsigned long)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::is_directory(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x7b4): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::detail::status(boost::filesystem::path const&, boost::system::error_code*)'
/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/lib/linux64/oiio/lib/libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_0::Filesystem::filename(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x87a): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::filename() const'
scons: *** [/home/mikev/Documents/CreativeTools/Blender/Blender-SVN/build/linux/bin/blender] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

I tried to file a bug but was yelled at for not taking build issues to IRC - as if it's not a bug? I don't do IRC or any kind of chat, thank you. They recommended I use the install_deps.sh file - which I am reticent to do because it uninstalls applications I don't want uninstalled, but I did it on a more expendable system and lo and behold, when compiling oiio I'm getting this error, which is same as the error I'm getting compiling Blender. Really - how are you guys getting Blender to compile?

Code:
Linking CXX executable atomic_test
libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_1::Filesystem::filename(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x102): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::filename() const'
libOpenImageIO.a(filesystem.cpp.o): In function `OpenImageIO::v1_1::Filesystem::extension(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, bool)':
filesystem.cpp:(.text+0x226): undefined reference to `boost::filesystem::path::extension() const'

Tehrasha

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 am
mikevan wrote:
how are you guys getting Blender to compile?

I am using cmake instead of scons, but them I am also using the older Ubuntu 10.04 x64.

mikevan

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm
Tehrasha wrote:
mikevan wrote:
how are you guys getting Blender to compile?

I am using cmake instead of scons, but them I am also using the older Ubuntu 10.04 x64.

It would seem that scons is becoming deprecated? Have started migrating over to cmake. Just when I have my user-config.py file tweaked to perfection. Smile

stiv

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 pm
Scons is not being deprecated. There is quite a bit of work going on right now to get OCIO, OSL, and Boost to all play nicely together. Likey, you will have problems building until this all gets straightened out.

One current result is the Boost libs are being removed from SVN in favor of locally installed libs.

mikevan

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:24 pm
stiv wrote:
Scons is not being deprecated. There is quite a bit of work going on right now to get OCIO, OSL, and Boost to all play nicely together. Likey, you will have problems building until this all gets straightened out.

One current result is the Boost libs are being removed from SVN in favor of locally installed libs.

Cool. While cmake-gui is neat, I've gotten used to scons. I noticed that the libs have been removed from SVN in favor for the install_deps.sh script. The only problem I have with that is that when installing libs it changes version to what I already have installed which often prompts the removal of software that I use without giving me a chance to take note of it so I can re-install the software later. So I've been stepping thru it manually... OIIO also failed in build and I'm having to address that now that the SVN libs are no longer updated. Will be happy when it's all ironed out. Until the next batch of changes comes along. Smile

mats_b_tegner

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm
The linux libs have been removed from SVN since revision 52284 I believe. I had to manually build OpenImageIO, OpenColorIO and Python 3.3.0 on my Slackware 14.0 system in order to build Blender. When I used the static libs from SVN I get similar errors when linking blender using CMake.

mikevan

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 am
mats_b_tegner wrote:
The linux libs have been removed from SVN since revision 52284 I believe. I had to manually build OpenImageIO, OpenColorIO and Python 3.3.0 on my Slackware 14.0 system in order to build Blender. When I used the static libs from SVN I get similar errors when linking blender using CMake.

OIIO is compiling now, FFMPEG doing better tho I'd like to be able to tweak the install_deps.sh script or have something similar to the user-config.py for it. Nevertheless, all libs are now own-compiled and Blender compiles via CMAKE for now. Scons still craters with linking errors like

Code:
undefined reference to `boost::locale::base_message_format<char>::id'

Tehrasha

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am
I had to set(WITH_INTERNATIONAL OFF) for CMAKE to get around the 'locale' error. Unless you need something other than english, try turning off internationalization in whatever scons uses for build options.

stiv

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 pm
Quote:
Scons still craters with linking errors like

Do you have the boost locale lib installed?

ldd ../install/linux/blender|grep locale
libboost_locale.so.1.49.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_locale.so.1.49.0 (0xb6a98000)

mikevan

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:26 pm
stiv wrote:
Quote:
Scons still craters with linking errors like

Do you have the boost locale lib installed?

ldd ../install/linux/blender|grep locale
libboost_locale.so.1.49.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_locale.so.1.49.0 (0xb6a98000)

I'm using the install_deps.sh script now so whatever it installs is what I have and I point the scons script to that in my user-configs.py. I've disabled international and it now actually builds - first build for me using scons in over a week. Except scons doesn't build cycles for some weird reason. Cmake builds cycles just fine. So I'll have to dig in and see what's up with that...

stiv

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 pm
Quote:
I'm using the install_deps.sh script now

The script prints out some lines at the end with path settings. The appropriate ones need to be added to your user-config.py

mikevan

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 pm
stiv wrote:
Quote:
I'm using the install_deps.sh script now

The script prints out some lines at the end with path settings. The appropriate ones need to be added to your user-config.py

I should have pointed out that I've been doing that since the very first time I used install_deps.sh. Yes, people actually do read that little message that prints out when using the install_deps.sh script. Smile

Here's my most basic user-config.py setup which is mostly a straight cut-n-paste from the message that printed out from the install_deps.sh script. I put the other options that were set to false in linux-config.py in there so I could toggle them to true to experiment - and I have the dev files installed for all those options too and up until a couple weeks ago they compiled just fine. They're set to false now while I try to riddle out my current problem with scons.

Code:
WITH_BF_INTERNATIONAL = False
BF_PYTHON = '/opt/lib/python-3.3'
BF_PYTHON_ABI_FLAGS = 'm'
BF_OCIO = '/opt/lib/ocio'
BF_OIIO = '/opt/lib/oiio'
BF_BOOST = '/opt/lib/boost'
BF_FFMPEG = '/opt/lib/ffmpeg'
BF_FFMPEG_LIB = 'avformat avcodec swscale avutil avdevice theoraenc theora theoradec vorbis vorbisenc vorbisfile xvidcore vpx mp3lame x264 openjpeg schroedinger-1.0'
WITH_BF_CYCLES = True

WITH_BF_FFTW3 = False
WITH_BF_OGG = False
WITH_BF_ELTOPO = False
WITH_BF_SNDFILE = False
WITH_BF_JACK = False

Cycles was not compiling for scons from the get-go so I'd get a completed build but cycles would be omitted. Somehow it was reading "false" here:

Code:
WITH_BF_CYCLES = WITH_BF_OIIO and WITH_BF_BOOST

so I forced it to compile by putting this into my user-config.py:

Code:
WITH_BF_CYCLES = True

And the resulting build returned many of these errors when cycles was being linked:

Code:
/home/mikev/Downloads/blender-svn/build/linux/lib/libbf_intern_cycles.a(bvh_node.o): In function `_GLOBAL__sub_I_bvh_node.cpp':
bvh_node.cpp:(.text.startup+0x12): undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'
bvh_node.cpp:(.text.startup+0x23): undefined reference to `boost::system::generic_category()'
bvh_node.cpp:(.text.startup+0x2e): undefined reference to `boost::system::system_category()'

It's as if cycles doesn't know where boost is and/or the scons build environment is not pointing the current location of boost to it. Cmake builds cycles just fine so boost is good. I'd report a bug but would just get yelled at again... Blender folks should set up a build bug-reporting channel. Not a fan of irc or any form of chat at all. This isn't a hand-holding issue but a "something is broken" issue.

mikevan

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm
And the install_deps.sh script did complete the install successfully. I've wiped the libs and recompiled and also wiped the svn and dl'ed a fresh copy.

Code:
mikev@Backup-Server:~$ ls /opt/lib
boost         ffmpeg      ocio        oiio        python-3.3
boost-1.51.0  ffmpeg-1.0  ocio-1.0.7  oiio-1.1.1  python-3.3.0

mikevan

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 pm
I fiddled with scons last night and am about ready to ditch it altogether as deprecated. The scon script has not been updated to reflect the removal of the libs so that's causing a false to be recorded for cycles because the script is looking for those dirs and not finding them, for one, then if I correct this the script looks for a lot of .a files in ffmpeg that have to be copied over from the various libs (something the script should do if this is required) and even with that the same boost errors and the overall discombobulated state of affairs on the scons build environment. Removing the libs from svn was premature imho since the build environment, wiki and other stuffs wasn't done at the same time or even in a timely manner and the install_deps.sh was not ready at the time.

Install_deps is MUCH better now but cmake is pretty much the way to build Blender now and scons should just be ripped out altogether. Why have two build environments to maintain? I liked scons which is why I fiddled with it for so long, but eventually I want to get back to playing with Blender so losses have to be cut...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: