Some Blender Design Suggestions

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

iDesign

Some Blender Design Suggestions

Postby iDesign » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 am

Hello I am an Autodesk Softimage artist, I would use Blender more often if it incorporated some of the functions of Softimage. Here is a list of some of the things that Blender community could implement:

1) Complete copy of Softimage navigation controls as an option if someone familiar with it would like to use Blender. For example pressing "s" and holding it would temporarily allow rotation, and pan with left/right mouse buttons, if "s" is just tapped it will enter a permanent state until another command is issued. As well as hold and tap function for other tools like select, move, scale etc.

2) Polygon, vertex, and edge clusters which can be easily found under the object hierarchy tree. The clusters should be dynamic so that we could add or subtract the topology to or from a cluster.

3) Complete history of any modifiers under the object tree so it is easy to undo changes you don't need and allow to change the properties of the modifiers. As well as the ability to freeze/collapse the stack to save memory when the model is finished.

This is about all I can think of so far. Thanks for reading and I hope Blender would have more features just like other programs.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 pm

1.) sounds very interesting, i understand you right, hitting S would enter scale live operator (like it currently is), holding S would do the same but accept changes on release.

Could be difficult to implement though. I dunno the event system, but it might be impossible to distinguish tap and hold for certain operators with current code.
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

ldo

Postby ldo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:53 am

I don’t know what you mean by “Complete history of any modifiers”—all modifiers currently in effect are listed under the modifiers tab for the active object, and there are buttons to remove them, or to just temporarily disable them for preview, rendering, or both. And each one has an “Apply” button to make its effect permanent while getting rid of the entry from the modifier stack—presumably that’s what you mean by “collapse”? Or does “expand/collapse” simply mean hiding/showing settings to reduce clutter for lots of modifiers? You can do that too.

Before making suggestions along the lines of “Why isn’t Blender more like proprietary package X?”, it is helpful to understand a bit more about how Blender actually works. That way your comments sound better informed.

Return to “Documentation & Education”