How to change UI font type and make it bold

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sallam

How to change UI font type and make it bold

Postby sallam » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Greetings
Newbie here. Great forum you have, and great spirited members.
First time I used Blender, (I'm using 2.59) I was shocked at how tiny the interface text size was!
My screen resolution is 1920*1080, so maybe the software doesn't adjust itself to different screen dimensions?

Anyhow, I've managed, thanks to your helpful replies to others, to increase the text size, by going to: File > User Preferences > System, and under "General" I've increased the DPI to 114

But the font used in the UI is still too thin. So I'm wondering if its possible to change the UI font type, and/or make the font bold to help make it more readable for those with less than optimum eye sights, like mine?

Many thanks.

sallam

Postby sallam » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Anyone please?
In addition to the above thin text problem, there is also another thin issue: lines are too thin, for example the selection borders, and the lines that shape the lamp and camera, they are all too thin to notice, and so very hard to select.

Please help me find a way to make those lines thick enough to see.

Many thanks

sallam

Postby sallam » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 am

It seems that Blender is too exciting that hardly anyone can find time to reply to newbies' questions, lol.

Anyhow, I've found a workaroud, since blender doesn't seem to support 1920*1080 HD resolution.
I've found a tiny little program, only 9k, that helps you run any program in the resolution of your choice. Its called REZO. I've selected 1280*720 and everything is nice and viewable now.

If that resulted in a screen with blank black edges, try extending your display card scale setting. In ATI cards, you can use:
Catalyst control center > My digital flat panels > Scaling options
..and drag the slider to the right until your desktop touches the 4 edges of your screen, with no black empty edges.

I hope this info helps anyone having difficulty seeing blender in HD screens.

Thanks everyone, and have a great time.

prashant.sohani

Postby prashant.sohani » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Bump!
Even I was trying to change the Blender interface font; and I stumbled here in the process.. turns out that the .ttf file(s) for the Blender font are located in the Blender source code (release/datafiles) , and one probably needs to recompile Blender to change the font.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 pm

not sure if it's really required, the font is at least not in the sources only, but also here:

Blender\2.65\datafiles\fonts\droidsans.ttf.gz
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

prashant.sohani

Postby prashant.sohani » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Ha, interesting! I am now trying to replace the font file which you pointed out with some other; to see whether Blender would notice it. It is turning out to be quite annoying that this is only-gzipped (.gz) file contains a directory (whereas I thought the gzip algorithm operated only on individual files), and presently I have no idea how to repack the directory with the new fontfile into the same .gz format. Not sure if Blender would accept a tar.gz in its place..

prashant.sohani

Postby prashant.sohani » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:25 pm

oh.. I realized what was happening; the gzip only contains the one ttf file; it was my gzip extractor program that was creating the directory each time.
But now having tried to change that font file, I see there is no difference in the UI at all. So, seems like one has to rebuild from source after all..
Besides, I feel that the bfont.ttf file in the source [ release/datafiles ] is what gives the interface font.

CoDEmanX

Postby CoDEmanX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 pm

bfont.ttf (=DejaVu Sans) seems to be hardcoded, yes. But you can exchange the font in the .gz-archive without having to rebuild blender!

By the way, droidsans appears to be DejaVu Sans...

GZip-compress a TTF font and call the archive droidsans.ttf.gz (use e.g. 7-zip). Replace the original file in the datafiles/fonts/ and restart blender. Go to User Preferences > System and enable International fonts, you can pick Default or whatever, just leave the two checkboxes below unticked. This will make Blender load the font inside of gz-archive and use it instead of the hardcoded one.

You may have to increase DPI value, as bold fonts appear smaller.

You can use Roboto bold for instance (it's free). Here are a few screenshots:

Roboto bold
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/je1i7tth/F ... o_bold.png

Gentium Plus
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/sjhv2njb/F ... m_Plus.png

Frutiger Bold
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/stizg4x4/F ... r_bold.png

Frutiger XtraBlk (extra black)
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/vu8ni30q/F ... traBlk.png
I'm sitting, waiting, wishing, building Blender in superstition...

Return to “Interface & Tools”