Problems with Boolean->Difference

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MarkgrafGoetz

Problems with Boolean->Difference

Postby MarkgrafGoetz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:42 pm

Hi,

I have two problems with Boolean->Difference:

a) if I use 2 simple meshes (like cubes), I get the desired result (the one cube is 'cut' out of the other one). However, if one mesh gets more complicate, the results are unpredictable. Edges from the second mesh remain while it is not completely cut form the first one. Even when I used a BooleanDifferenceModifier and moved the mesh around, I could not get an idea of what blender really did. Is there an open bug? I trust not! Is there something to keep in mind while using Boolean Difference?

b) Why is it, that a resulting mesh gets the name and properties (rotation, location etc.) from the resulting and not from the originating mesh? Difference cuts one mesh from the other one and I would expect that the mesh which is cut from will remain and not the other way around.

Can anyone help, please?
Thanx,
Goetz

z3r0_d

Re: Problems with Boolean->Difference

Postby z3r0_d » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:53 am

MarkgrafGoetz wrote:Is there something to keep in mind while using Boolean Difference?

are both of your meshes closed/watertight?

MarkgrafGoetz

Postby MarkgrafGoetz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:06 pm

One mesh is the result of a former Boolean->Difference, that worked as expected, the other one is a scaled new cube.

So, everything should be closed. But I think that there might be a problem with the mesh. I dont see the normals of two faces. The mesh has been open, due to a deletion of vertices and I closed it with "F". But if I display the normals, all I see on two faces is a small dot instead of a line.

I watched inside the mesh if I should flip the normals, but it is the same there. How can I relocate the normals one they have been changed?

wildanders

Postby wildanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 am

MarkgrafGoetz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42 am Post subject: Problems with Boolean->Difference
Hi,

I have two problems with Boolean->Difference:

a) if I use 2 simple meshes (like cubes), I get the desired result (the one cube is 'cut' out of the other one). However, if one mesh gets more complicate, the results are unpredictable. Edges from the second mesh remain while it is not completely cut form the first one. Even when I used a BooleanDifferenceModifier and moved the mesh around, I could not get an idea of what blender really did. Is there an open bug? I trust not! Is there something to keep in mind while using Boolean Difference?

b) Why is it, that a resulting mesh gets the name and properties (rotation, location etc.) from the resulting and not from the originating mesh? Difference cuts one mesh from the other one and I would expect that the mesh which is cut from will remain and not the other way around.

Can anyone help, please?
Thanx,
Goetz

Hi guys,

I here 6 years later with the same problem as Goetz. Not sure if there is a solution to this problem.

Kindly assist.

Thank you
anders

Return to “Interface & Tools”