rigging and skinning

An open space where people who use Blender in an academic environment can share progress and the typical problems and needs of academic environments.

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ANGS77

rigging and skinning

Postby ANGS77 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi again,

I created a legoman for a college project and applied rigging and skinning to the mesh using this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rhD4PV1Fc), however when I move my models arms or legs the following happens.

Do I need to redo my model ?

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Not entirely sure what is going on with the model from a single picture, but it looks like the weight-painting is messed up. It looks the arm is not moving properly with the bone.

Should not need to redo the model, but you might need to re-rig and manually weight-paint everything.
Spacemice Wiki -- Input devices for a 3D world.
Spacemice / Blender Compatibility

ANGS77

Postby ANGS77 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi sorry for the late reply, I decided to try re-modelling and re-rigging my model, but I still came out with the same results.

I have inverse kinematics applied to the lower bone in the legs and the bones in the hands.

I have also got sub division surface applied to the model.

hope the extra pics help.

ANGS77

Postby ANGS77 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:29 pm

I have tried the weight paint method also, and still no joy.

can anyone help with this problem... its cost me four days of the project so far.

Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Sorry, my skills at rigging are rather limited.

Have you also asked this over on blenderartists.org ?
They deal with the how-to questions much more than this developer forum.

norvman

Postby norvman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 pm

I suggest you post a Blend file ... I also suggest you also post this at the Blender Artist Site in the Animation and Rigging section... there seems to be more Riggers that frequent there for some reason...

but if you can post a blend file so I can open it up and inspect... it probably wont take long to figure out what is wrong...

My Guess however is that instead of trying to weight paint this model you use a different method to bind the vertices to the Bones...

If it was me building and Rigging this model I would...
Create my Model... then build my Rigg... then Select the Model then Shift select the Rigg and Hit Ctrl+P to Parent... choose "Armature Deform ... with Empty Groups"....
Select your Model... in the Properties Panel... choose Object Data (triangle Icon)... then Vertex Groups... you should see all your Vertex Groups there each named as you named your bones... (you did name your bones didn't you?) ...

Now in the 3D view with your Model selected ... tab into Edit mode and select all the vertcies for that you want that bone to control ... we will say the Upper Arm bone_Right...(in this instance) once all these are selected... find the Upper Arm bone_Right Vertex Group in the Vertex Group Panel and hit "Assign" ...

Now Tab out of Edit mode and select your Rigg and tab into Pose mode... move that bone around and you will see that bone now controls those points...

Note that of coarse any given vertex and be controlled by more than one bone...

Anyway... that's just a quick and fast way to "Weight paint" a simple Model like this...

Return to “Academic & Research”