Pagenumbers in the blender manual pdf-file

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Tobur

Pagenumbers in the blender manual pdf-file

Postby Tobur » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:39 am

Hello there,

first let me say that you guys are doing a tremendous job on getting the blender manual together.

I thought about one thing concearning the pfd-file: I work as an tax consultant and therefore I have to deal with laws change several times a year. I have to use lawbooks on a regular basis and most of these books get updated everytime something changes in the laws.

For the ones who are not that familiar with this: You can buy a basic book with loose pages. Everytime something changes, the publisher publishes only the changed pages and send them to the buyer. The buyer can change the pages and get his book updated this way.

For I like printed books more then computerscreens, I would like to print the blender manual. The problem is that I have to print all of it again if the manual is updated.

My proposal: Give each chapter in the book a unique pagenumber with reference to the chapternumber. For example 6-12 (would be chapter 6 page 12). So every chapter starts with page 1 again. Also start each chapter on a new page. By doing this you can easily change new pages or add pages to the book. If something is written between existing pages, you could also work with characters like 6-12a (for a new page inserted between 6-12 and 6-13).

To complete this give the user a list with changed pages with every update of the book. The list could have to colums. First colum with the page to get out of the book, second colum with new pages and the pages where they must be sorted in after.

I hope this makes it a little bit clear and sorry for my long post.

Tobur.

S68

Postby S68 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:54 am

This is a neat idea :)

I wonder if someone can code this in the StyleSheets...

Stefano

theeth

Postby theeth » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:50 pm

Really neat idea. The only downside to this kind of formating (from personnal experience) is that you cannot guess where a page is going to be when searching through the book.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:19 pm

from html to pdf it is not difficult to add page numbers (browser settings, starting a chapter on a new page would be a css (style sheet) setting which in my testing would work in IE for Win, Opera (I think), and mozilla (no safari/IE:Mac))

but there would be a problem having everybody's html print with the same page numbers. html isn't made that way.

(I hope I am not horribly misunderstanding something)

S68

Postby S68 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:15 pm

I expect PPL use HTML for browsing and PDF for printing, if you print the HTML then it's your business to come up with page numbers :P

Stefano

Return to “Documentation & Education”