Trouble importing .obj files into blender 2.65a

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

OddSokz

Trouble importing .obj files into blender 2.65a

Postby OddSokz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi all, I'm new to blender and trying to import a .obj file that I've been given by a client. It was of a 3DS MAX model. After clicking File -> Import and selecting the file it will return me back to the viewports with no change. No error is displayed and no objects appear to have been added.

I'm using Mac OSX 10.7.5 if this is of any help. I've read other posts with similar issues saying to update python. Ive tried this, but to no avail.

Are there limitations to file sizes and what can be carried across?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance. :)

psullie

Postby psullie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

1. the world co-ordinates are off. Check the Outliner to see if your object is listed. Then View -> All
You can centre the object by Shift S -> Object to Curser

2. Your object is really big (geometry not file size). In the main window type N to open the Transform panel and check it's dimensions

Blender can handle pretty big files, I regularly import scan data containing 2 million triangles or more

OddSokz

Postby OddSokz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm

There appears to be nothing listing in the Outliner and nothing listed in the Transform panel. The file is over 300kb so there's something to be got at! Are there any features of a model that can't be exported that could be causing issues? Like morphers? Skeletons? Textures?

Shadoh

Postby Shadoh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

obj files are readable in a text editor. Perhaps you could open it using notepad, just to see what's inside. It should have a list of numbers preceded by letters.
If that all seems normal try importing it with another program. You can get a trial version of MS3D to test the file in another program.
http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/ms3d/download.html.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Interface & Tools”