Walk Cycles and Dope Sheets

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Connors

Walk Cycles and Dope Sheets

Postby Connors » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 am

I'm not new to Blender and I've had a lot of fun modeling, however I'm not especially familiar with the animation tools. I originally learned in a class using Lightwave and I have the basics down on how to use the Dope Sheet/Graph Editor but I hit a small problem.

I started on a basic walk cycle with my simple little robot (just the legs for now) and got him to take one step. Now I want to duplicate the same two keyframes but for the opposite foot. So my question is how do I go about copying keyframe info from one object to another?
I could just pose two more frames by hand but I'm here because I want to get to know the tools better.

Connors

[UPDATE]

Postby Connors » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:45 pm

A friend shot me a link to a page that says switch to the Action Editor to select the actions of another object. Just so we're clear: I don't want to use all the keyframes from another object. I want to know if I can copy the LocRot from ONE keyframe into another. I can duplicate frames, but not between two objects.

KONANDRIAS

Re: [UPDATE]

Postby KONANDRIAS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I am not sure if I got it but...

Lets asume that we have Legs R and L
The R has already the keyframes.
Your legs are IK probably. Choose the L foot controler and shift click the R foot controler. Press Ctrl c . It will give you a list on things that you can copy from R to L. in Ik case choose the local location. Do the same for the second keyframe. Then in dope sheet just change the position of the keyframes for the L.
That is the only way that I know of. Usually for rotations the w quternation has to be the opposite. if the w in the R is 0.56 for the L has to be -0.56.

I hope that helps

KONANDRIAS

Re: [UPDATE]

Postby KONANDRIAS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Also check this tutorial. I is for an older version of blender but it works with the new one also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9Al0vHPUw

in 2:00 it saws how to do what you are asking I think

Return to “Animation”