applying BVH onto a mesh different from rest pose

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

liborvasa

applying BVH onto a mesh different from rest pose

Postby liborvasa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to apply a bvh animation (CMU) on a mesh, which however does not match the rest pose of the BVH. I understand that one possibility is to modify the mesh so that it does match, but I do not want to go that way. The other possibility is to adjust the rest pose, but that destroys the rest of the animation, since it is defined with respect to the rest pose. I have searched various fora, and some people suggest modifying a particular (frame) pose, and binding the mesh to that pose, and that is exactly what I would love to do, but I don't know how. Each time I try to bind the mesh to the parent armature, it computes the weights with respect to the rest pose, and it does not care at all in what pose the armature is. Can somebody please help me, idealy in foolproof steps? :)

Thanks in advance,

Libor

KONANDRIAS

Re: applying BVH onto a mesh different from rest pose

Postby KONANDRIAS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:06 pm

As far as I know bvh works with retargeting the bones to other bones. This means that is better to build your armature for your character and bind it to the mesh. Then retarget the bones of the bvh to your armatures accordingly.
If you try to modify the bones of the bvh in edit mode you will end up with scary results!!
You can also check bvh hacker. With this program you can modify the bvh movement without having problems.

Also you can check this excelent tutoarial series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhbSrau ... A&index=10

Return to “Animation”