MS3D Export problems

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Shadoh

MS3D Export problems

Postby Shadoh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 am

Hi all.
I'm using the MS3D file format as a format to import in to my game.
When I export the model to MS3D the Bones seem to align to the Y-Axis-up system, like I want it to, but the vertices don't. And it completely screws the animations (The joints move in the wrong directions, and get warped).

This is what it looks like when I load it in Milkshape

beta-tester
Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here

Re: MS3D Export problems

Postby beta-tester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Shadoh wrote:Hi all.
I'm using the MS3D file format as a format to import in to my game.
When I export the model to MS3D the Bones seem to align to the Y-Axis-up system, like I want it to, but the vertices don't. And it completely screws the animations (The joints move in the wrong directions, and get warped).

hello, can you provide the blend file and the ms3d file, that i can take a look to it

Shadoh

Postby Shadoh » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 pm

beta-tester
Location: orion-cygnus arm, local solar system, earth, europe, germany, ..., here

Postby beta-tester » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11 pm

thank you for providing the files...
i can confirm the issues.
as quick workaround, you can apply the location and rotation of the mesh and the armature to (0, 0, 0).

- [Shift]+[C] to bring the cursor to (0,0,0)
- for the mesh, hit [Ctrl]+[A],[L] than [Ctrl]+[A],[R]
- for the armature, hit [Ctrl]+[A],[L] than [Ctrl]+[A],[R]

that will fix the wrong orientation of the mesh and lines up mesh to armature.

BUT ! than i saw, that some vertices are not correctly transformed in the animation.

i will invest some time to figure out, what the problem is an how to fix it in the add-on, hopefully i will find a nice solution.

beta-tester

Postby beta-tester » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 pm

beta-tester wrote:BUT ! than i saw, that some vertices are not correctly transformed in the animation.

i saw, that some vertices in your model has weights for more than 3 different bones. milkshape does only allow 3 as maximum.

on export, when you watch the report info log (i don't know the correct name of that area in blender - if you don't see it, grab the lower border of the headline a bit down...). there are some messages like "skipped weight" and "skippes weight: limit exeeded".

because i take the weights as they ordered and not as they affected by the bones, it will be randomly skip strong weights, what will be very visible.

i will try to change the exporter to take first the strong weights and skip less stronger weights in case of skipping...

and maybe add an option to show problematic vertices with more than 3 weights in editmode.

beta-tester

Postby beta-tester » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

beta-tester wrote:BUT ! than i saw, that some vertices are not correctly transformed in the animation.

[/quote]

version 0.94.0 is online.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/MilkShape3D_MS3D

i made some changes in the add-on to fix only the wrong weights, for now, in case of more than 3 - now the ones with higher weights will keeped, and the less ones will skipped.
will work well with your model without strange visible issues.

but you still have to apply location and rotation for now - i will fix this late.

beta-tester

Postby beta-tester » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 pm

beta-tester wrote:but you still have to apply location and rotation for now - i will fix this late.

hmmm... :?
i don't know, what i was testing today in the morning...
but the export option "Apply Transformation" is doing that what i was telling you before just at export time automatically.

so, for me the add-on is OK with version 0.94.0 - or i am now wrong?!?
please let me know. i am a little bit confused right now.
anyhow, it was good, otherwise i didn't found the issue with the weights. :P

PS.: if you download the blender 2.65.10 r54409 or newer, you will get that updated add-on version.

Shadoh

Postby Shadoh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Ok, I'll give it a try now :) thanks

Shadoh

Postby Shadoh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:35 am

That's awesome it's working perfectly! Thank you :D

beta-tester

Postby beta-tester » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 am

Shadoh wrote:That's awesome it's working perfectly! Thank you :D

version 0.95.0 is online.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Exten ... ape3D_MS3D

or wait for a new blender 2.65.10 newer than r54416 on the builder page
http://builder.blender.org/download/

i changed the transformation in the exporter, because i saw, that when i import an exported model that was parented with an other object/armature, it may happen, that it appears on a slightly different position than it was on export time. it will also affect the position in your game - maybe you already noticed this distortion - it should be fixed now.

Return to “Interface & Tools”