MAYA USER PRESET HOTKEYS -DESELECTION-

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

triton3d

MAYA USER PRESET HOTKEYS -DESELECTION-

Postby triton3d » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 am

Hello everyone,

I´m a Maya user trying to learn Blender. I find Blender a very interesting software and I´m considering switching to it, but I´m having some problems with the maya hotkeys preset.

I have searched the web for an answer to one specific question but I didn’t find any . And the question is this:

"How can I deselect a face, or a vertex for my current selection with the maya hotkey preset?"

Is possible to deselect faces, vertex,edges or objects by using the brush tool (C) and the Lasso tool, but I could not deselect them individually with the "selection tool", clicking AGAIN on them (i don’t know if this sentence makes sense; my English language skills are very basic, sorry :oops: )

As I said I´m considering switching to blender and I have to convince my freelance friends (I run a little "one man band studio" and normally work with the help of other freelance friends). So I want to learn the software quickly to be able to make the next project in blender in order to test its possibilities.

thank you

OFF TOPIC: If someone wants to see our short film trailer (done in maya and currently screening in festivals around the world), you can go to www.beerbugfilm.com or www.katue.net

Excuse my bad english :oops:

KONANDRIAS

Re: MAYA USER PRESET HOTKEYS -DESELECTION-

Postby KONANDRIAS » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm

The only way that I know is with the c key or the laso tool. I prefer the c key. I dont think that there is another way for now. The problem is that whatever you will do the right click will set the cursor.

The best thing that you should do is to learn blenders hotkeys and get familiar with them. When you move further you will find out that they are handier.
In the begining it will be a bit difficult but in 2 weeks you will sort it out.
Believe me I know!

Very good work by the way! :)

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 pm

your english is perfect.

and u are right, in 3ds max and maya you click on nothing and what ever was selected is deselected.

I mean when u click on empty space, anything u had previously selected gets deselected. Same is true for windows as well, if you have couple of icons selected, click in empty space to clear the selection. But that's not true for blender (wtf were they thinking right?). To do that in blender, you have to press "A". that deselects everything(clears the selection).

To deselect individual vertices from a group or vertices that you have selected, do "shift+click". the click in right mouse button by default.

To do this in 3ds max (im not sure of maya) you press "ctrl+click" if I'm not wrong.

triton3d

Postby triton3d » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi there,

I posted this little problem in www.g-blender.com (blender community in spanish) ,the Admin (Octagesimal) got in contact with blender´s programmers and they have solved the problem in the last release (2.66)

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?fu ... group_id=9

Now works perfect!

:-)

fdevant

Postby fdevant » Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 am

How did you get it to work? I'm in v2.67 and is not working :S
Also, not sure yet if it's better to just try to learn the original blender commands and stuff :(

triton3d wrote:Hi there,

I posted this little problem in www.g-blender.com (blender community in spanish) ,the Admin (Octagesimal) got in contact with blender´s programmers and they have solved the problem in the last release (2.66)

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?fu ... group_id=9

Now works perfect!

:-)

yoloff

Postby yoloff » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 am

Just ran into the same problem :)

Running 2.67 (extensively maya and max user) and would make more sense to me to start off with the maya or max input presets, not the blender one - their hotkey/navigation logic will throw me way into the deep.

I can't figure out a way to remove from a selection (both in object and edit mode) + change the position of the pivot (origin) by hotkey (already say where this is in the menus) + more stuff like that. I strongly emphasize on that I'm using the maya preset.

Thanks.

Alex
/yoloff

Procedural

Postby Procedural » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:39 am

So?

I can confirm that, should we submit a bug or something? :)

yoloff

Postby yoloff » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:28 pm

More of a feature request - I found that it's somewhat easy to substract from selection using MMB.

Alex

Procedural wrote:So?

I can confirm that, should we submit a bug or something? :)
/yoloff

Procedural

Postby Procedural » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Maybe, it was considered as a bug back then, though

MMB is okay until I get tired to circle around points :)

yoloff wrote:More of a feature request - I found that it's somewhat easy to substract from selection using MMB.

Alex

yoloff

Postby yoloff » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Yes, it can get quite annoying at times, although it does the job. Whenever I have time (which is usually likely to be never) I might dig more into scripting my own commands. If anyone has experience in this regards, I'm open to any useful tips. I'm not a coder, so the documentation won't be that useful. Does the python console echoes all the commands, that can be useful (maya-like).

Alex

Procedural wrote:Maybe, it was considered as a bug back then, though

MMB is okay until I get tired to circle around points :)

/yoloff

Procedural

Postby Procedural » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Thankfully, I'm the coder :) As soon as I get used to Blenders workflow (I started using it yesterday, I'm quite impressed so far!) I'll check api and will try to fix it

yoloff wrote:Yes, it can get quite annoying at times, although it does the job. Whenever I have time (which is usually likely to be never) I might dig more into scripting my own commands. If anyone has experience in this regards, I'm open to any useful tips. I'm not a coder, so the documentation won't be that useful. Does the python console echoes all the commands, that can be useful (maya-like).

Alex

Procedural

Postby Procedural » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Ok, I found the solution and it doesn't require coding :) Although I'm interested in it, but I guess such custom events (e.g. on mouse click) are not exposed for python yet?

Anyway, just export maya key configuration from Blender 2.66a and import it in 2.67b - voila :)

Download fixed key configuration

yoloff

Postby yoloff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Procedural wrote:Ok, I found the solution and it doesn't require coding :) Although I'm interested in it, but I guess such custom events (e.g. on mouse click) are not exposed for python yet?

Anyway, just export maya key configuration from Blender 2.66a and import it in 2.67b - voila :)

Download fixed key configuration

Will give it a try, thanks for digging into this :)

Alex
/yoloff

Procedural

Postby Procedural » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Figure out how to fix an existing key map if you don't want to create a new one from scratch. Add these lines after Map 3D View km assignment in your .py file:

kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE')
kmi.properties.extend = False
kmi.properties.center = False
kmi.properties.object = False
kmi.properties.enumerate = False
kmi.properties.toggle = False
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', shift=True)
kmi.properties.toggle = True
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', ctrl=True)
kmi.properties.center = True
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', alt=True)
kmi.properties.enumerate = True
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', shift=True, ctrl=True)
kmi.properties.extend = True
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', ctrl=True, alt=True)
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', shift=True, alt=True)
kmi = km.keymap_items.new('view3d.select', 'SELECTMOUSE', 'RELEASE', shift=True, ctrl=True, alt=True)

KrishnaPG

Postby KrishnaPG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Did the latest 2.68a fixed this problem with Maya style interfacing.

Looks like the other things are working fine similar to Maya with the preset:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gpalem/archive/ ... -maya.aspx

Return to “Interface & Tools”