game - path following

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BlenderMaster

game - path following

Postby BlenderMaster » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:12 pm

how do you get an object to follow a path in a game i know how to get it to work in an animation but not in a game.

thanks ahead of time

Jonsku

Postby Jonsku » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi,
I don't have an answer but I think it has to do with the game engine not respecting constraints.

Can anyone confirm wether or not this is the case? It could be that some constraints have not be implemented in the game engine yet.

I'm also waiting for an answer on my related question : http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19867

daemonicky

Postby daemonicky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:04 pm

I am new to this scene and I have almost no experience with BGE.

But solution would be to make a path as a list of points.
Then to follow path you just make entity (object which is following path) to move to this goal. To his target, or set it to a variable "target". You should add some constrains so that it goes on ground or whatever its movement type is ... as soon as the entity reached the point (in case of ground following reaching x,y will do, you do not need to reach its height because that might be sometimes impossible) set next point in list as "target".

OTO

Postby OTO » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Hello
if you want to download this boring and sad game you could check two solutions, "Path following" and "Way Points" ( and use them, of course):
http://otothecleaner.free.fr/downloads/ ... 0-beta.zip
The "Path" solution is obtained with an old "Path2IPO" python script, applied to a "Path" curve, not working with 2.49, but I'm using it with 2.45 and open the result in 2.49.
The "Way points" script its still working in 2.49, and its very easy to use!
Do a search in the blenderartists forum, maybe you'll find the "Path2Ipo" script, the "Way points" its inside my file!
Bye

crankyjoe

logic block solution?

Postby crankyjoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

has anyone tried to use a steering actuator with a "path following" option in the behavior window.

I haven't done it yet but that seems to make sense to me.

OTO

Postby OTO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, now there's "Navigation Meshes" to that task!
Bye

Return to “Interactive 3d”