Cannot scale along axis (bug or newbie idiocy?)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Cannot scale along axis (bug or newbie idiocy?)

Postby faidros » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:41 pm

In all the books, documentations an FAQs I've read about blender, it is written that I can scale along a certain axis by pressing S, then hold down middle mouse button and move the mouse in the direction of the axis. However, this does not work as expected for me.

If I do as said above, then 9 times out of 10, the objects starts to scale along the X axis, no matter which view is visible. This is rather frustrating in the side view, since the X axis isn't even visible there.

The reason I think this is a bug is because I can produce the expected behavior by doing "wrong". To get scaling along the preferred axis, I have to first scale the object somewhat without having the middle mouse button pressed. Then, when pressing down the MMB without having exited scale mode, the scale along axis behavior starts to behave.

If this is not a bug, then a newbie question: How do I scale along an axis without first having had to scale along all axes? And another newbie question: Is there an alternative to using gestures for determining which axis to scale along?

I am using blender 2.27 linux i386 static.

// Joel

Postby ray_theray » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:53 pm

AFAIK, this is the ONLY way to constrain properly in blender (for scaling and grabbing). Press S or G, move mouse along axis of constraint, then press MMB. This is the way it's supposed to work. At first, everything will scale or move along all axes, but once you press MMB, everything should look as if it was not scaled along all axes in the first place.
Ex: I add a UV Sphere, then exit edit mode and go to side view. I press S and move my cursor up the Z axis. Press MMB - voila!

Postby Coz » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:28 am

For some reason I can't scale along an axis while having the proportional vertex editing on, I guess it just complicated to do both at the same time so is not coded into blender.

Return to “Interface & Tools”