about Rvk

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

about Rvk

Postby Caronte » Thu May 01, 2003 6:06 am

Is very bad for the character animation to see how all the mesh is corrupted if you add (or delete) vertex on a mesh with already RVKs deformations. :(
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"

Postby Guest » Thu May 01, 2003 8:27 am

yeah dude that bugs me to :evil: :roll: I hate it...

Postby hanzo » Thu May 01, 2003 8:45 am

I have destroyed much work this way! :cry:

Postby beatabix » Thu May 01, 2003 8:40 pm

I've always thought that RVKs were a little ineffective anyway.

Just think, natural motion involves curve, especially for facial movements. RVKs, on the other hand, are direct straight lines, unless you push them using a curve weight style key. The IPO curve for an RVK is completely 2D -> influence over time.

I think a much better solution would be group deformers. For example, a point that pulls a set of vertices with a user defined influence (like weight paint). These points could be given regular loc, rot, scale keyframes, or parented to bones and used with actions.

I've seen something like this used in many other packages, and it looked very effective.

does anyone else think this would be a useful adition to the blender animation toolkit (along with spline-IK and all the other things proposed)?

RVKs for speech

Postby modron » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:36 am

I am just now learning about RVKs....was sitting there getting nothing adding a bunch of key frames...then hit the slurph button for no particular reason and the whole thing leapt into action,...anyway, erm, the reason i was fooling w RVKs is that they can be used in conjunction with a program called magpie that is for lip synching, by feeding the magpie text output into a python plugin that translates it into RVK deformations. I have not actually accomplished this, yet, but yesterday when i downloaded magpie, it took me about ten minutes to render a fair sized sentence into the aforementioned magpie text output,.... handy! http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/lipsynctute/ <--here's a tutorial to check out. === a little follow up...been fooling with RVKs all night,...i'm not sure that the way it is working for me resembles that in the tutorial,...maybe the version, not sure,... anyway, you can do anything with them that you can do with vertexes, including what you described,...(the warpy mesh pulling button,...you know...the THING,...the,...arg,..) and then position those keyframes or copies of them in any order you like, syncronized with a stepping or bending action if you like. but beyond that, you can use the smoothing function and the noise function to make your object go from coarse to smooth to coarse again,...or any number of things....i even managed to get an effect that resembled moving fabric and another that , well, anyway, i contend that they are highly useful, and do things that could not be easily accomplished by other means. :shock: <==this is from looking at my monitor for too long.

Return to “Animation”