Camera settings

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

gogglebot

Camera settings

Postby gogglebot » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi, not sure if this post is in the right place, sorry.

I need to replicate my real camera into the settings of the camera in blender, Though I'm unsure what's what.
My camera is a Fujifilm finepix s3300, here's a page with the settings:http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/specifications/s/finepix_s3300/

Thanks to anyone who can help! :)

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 am

You have not provided me enough information to give a particularly good answer to your question. For example, in the camera specifications to which you provided a link, I see a variety of focal lengths, you have a variety of digital zoom settings, and multiple sizes of the image.

I suggest the best bet for help on this issue is to post an image you wish to use, together with the EXIF data for the image.

ns

gogglebot

Postby gogglebot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello,
I am unsure what settings I need, I am trying to follow the tutorial for camera tracking here:
http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/intro ... -tracking/
During the tutorial, I need apparently to replicate my camera settings used for the video I recorded.
Whilst recording it was fully un-zoomed, so I would assume minimal settings?
Though I'm still not sure what translates to what in blender.
The camera itself doesn't want to tell me the settings used while recording either.

Also, the camera was apparently recording using HD 1280 setting, that's all I can find from the camera. If that helps at all.

Thanks.

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:52 pm

You seem to me to be someone of above average intelligence, so that I would expect that if you are having problems with this particular bit, others may be having the same trouble. I suggest you redirect you question to Andrew Price through the "contact" button at the extreme upper left hand corner pf the Blender Guru website, using the "request a tutorial" option, because I suspect that he will want to know that this bit of the tutorial is not quite as clear as it should be.

ns

stiv

Postby stiv » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 am

There are presets for a number of cameras

Important data items are sensor size and focal length

I know camera images usually have EXIF data about exposure and such. Don't know about video.

gogglebot

Postby gogglebot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 pm

aha!
On the lens it'self, extending it out reveals numbers on the top, namely focal length (4.3mm) and something else saying Equiv.135 and 24mm

I assume these are similar to the default blender settings.
These numbers are the lowest, so I must also assume that they refer to minimal zooming, as was when filming.
If the other numbers aside from focal length mean anything to you all, feel free to say, it'd be of great use to Blending, and to further understanding photography.

Thanks all,
if I'm still stuck I'll take the suggestion and ask the Tut maker about it.

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:14 am

OK, here's an idea. Take a still shot before and another still shot after making the tracking video, and do not change the lens setting when you make the video. Now, transfer the two images to your computer, select each in turn, right click on the image, and select the "details" tab. Scroll down the page and you be able to get the sensor width from the width of the image under the "Image" panel, and the focal length of the lens from the appropriate line in the "camera" panel.

Alternatively, you can use copy the entire details and paste them into a text document, and compare them with the specs of your camera, to try to come closer to the values you need.

Taking a shot before and after will presumably give you some warning if the shooting the video somehow changed the settings.

ns

gogglebot

Postby gogglebot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 pm

I guess you know this but the values I need are, jsut to clarify, and for anyone else that views this:
The focal length
The sensor width, in mm
The aspect ratio? Though blender has this as a single number.

From here (ignor the lumix) I believe I have the sensor width:
http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/panaso ... pix-s3300/
Specifically this:
Sensor size: 1/2.3" (~ 6.16 x 4.62 mm)
I assume that the first is the sensor width? (x-axis first, etc. etc.?)

The camera has 16:9 aspect ratio for video, as found here:
http://www.neocamera.com/camera/fuji/s3300
Though I don't know how to set this in Blender with a single value (defualt 1)

and I must assume that the focal length, is 24mm, as is smallest value on all websites and on the camera itself, for the minimal zoom.

So, this is probably the closest I can get with this. Unless you think anything is major-ly wrong, thanks, I'll test with this, if it screws up, I'll see how default blender settings go, and if that doesn't work, I'll be back here.

thanks all

gogglebot

Postby gogglebot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:27 pm

The above failed horrifically,
Gonna try some pre-sets.

gogglebot

Postby gogglebot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Also now decided that my clip needs another 500 tracking points or so, so I'm going go go start tearing up some paper, Also, using one of the presets seemed to work much better than my terrible attempts to replicate my camera settings.
Though with the minimal tracks, it's just not possible, I'm also going to it on a patterned carpet, so that means tracking points without even trying. (yay!)

Thanks all, but I, personally, have failed, I may enquire to The tutorial maker as previously suggested.

I'm not here this weekend, so, adios!

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:25 am

Before anything else, hope you enjoyed your weekend.

First of all, to wax philosophical, you don't give yourself enough credit when you write, in part:

gogglebot wrote:
... <snippage> ...

I, personally, have failed,

... <more snippage> ...

"Not succeeded yet", is not the same as failing. As long as you are still working at the projectt, you've not failed, you just haven't achieved the results you seek, yet.

Next, it occurred to me that maybe video files mavbe the same sort of information in "details" as still shot, but it turns out that they do not. So from that standpoint, I'm still back at the "take a shot before, and a shot after", advice.

But it also occurred to me that what you are looking for is certain technical details related to your camera, and since it may be that you are the only person on these forums that is using both that camera to provide material for camera tracking, you might be better contacting support at Fujifilm (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/), providing a link to Andrew's camera tracking video, and the length of time into the video where he discusses entering the camera's characteristics, and asking Fuji Support what the appropriate values are. Indeed, there might be a blenderhead in support who can provide you with, or point you to, a preset specific to your camera.

Also, this forum is, in general, aimed more at people who are developing, rather than using, Blender, and you might get more, and more useful, information by posting the information in one of the Blenderartists.org forums. There are more users over in those forums, and a greater chance that someone there is using the same camera model you are.

ns

Return to “Interface & Tools”