Blender-Python Docs are not good... solution?

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ideasman

Blender-Python Docs are not good... solution?

Postby ideasman » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:29 pm

I have started a few projects scripting in blender with python. The 2.25 docs are so bad.

They give few examples, don't point out any bugs in the Python interface and are generally not informative.

I have been itching to write my own docs about things I HAVE discovered by searching forums and related scripts but who would read them? (No web site) and would rather contribute.

I think some kind of WIKI would be good.

I hope the 2.28 docs are a heap better.

I dont want to sound ungreatfull but it makes it hard to use an API whan the docs are poor.

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: Blender-Python Docs are not good... solution?

Postby Michel » Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:51 pm

Hi,

we're currently in the process of writing the API docs. For some modules, a very small example will be included. Since the docs are also a complete rewrite some mistakes may slip in eventually. Don't hesitate to contact us to report problems or lend a hand :)

One of the things we really would like to see in the future, are more example scripts which show the possibilities of the Python API. For that, we definately would like some users to jump in.

ideasman wrote:They give few examples, don't point out any bugs in the Python interface and are generally not informative.

If a bug is known, then it is probably resolved instead of just documenting the bug. Why spend the time on documenting while fixing the bug could be done instead?

ideasman wrote:I have been itching to write my own docs about things I HAVE discovered by searching forums and related scripts but who would read them? (No web site) and would rather contribute.

Now, this is something I'd love to hear!! :D
We have a special Blender Python mailing list. Go here. Also the archives can be browsed there. Most of the discussion right now is about the development. Writing example scripts and tutorials is also part of the development process in my opinion.

ideasman wrote:I dont want to sound ungreatfull but it makes it hard to use an API whan the docs are poor.

You don't sound ungratefull at all. But please understand that writing API docs for me is a boring task :( It's also one of the most useful documents when written very well 8)

IanWill has found a very nice way of documenting the API. You can check here in cvs for the Camera module documentation. This is before it will be processed by the tool epydoc. The output itself is a very nicely formatted and easy to navigate html page. :D

With regards,
Michel

LukeW

Postby LukeW » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:21 am

I think on blender.org's documentation page there should be a link to this page in the meantime.....

http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/vie ... bf-blender

And you can say there that people can click on the numbers to see the documentation for that section.

Return to “Python”