Blender File Format Doc?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Blender File Format Doc?

Postby bj0ern » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 am

Hi ...

So, has anyone ever written a paper or spec on the blender file format?

Postby z3r0_d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:07 am

nope, and there isn't really a reason to
look at the loading functions and the structs it loads things into.

(though the blender format isn't suited for being produced outside of blender.. I am liking the idea of an xml version that contains the same info, we'll see what happens)

Postby ideasman » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:12 am

Have a look at this

This is the webpage

Blender File Reader

Blender is a powerful 3D modeling program for GNU/Linux and windows. Unfortunately it is not possible to export all the features provided by blender to another format. To facilitate this I have written a file decoder for the .blend file format.

I owe a lot of credit to Nirved who did the hard work of decoding the file format for blender.

dna-0.1 11-28-00 Open blender 2.0 files, and dump their contents. Crashes easily and does not yet support big endian systems.

last modified 11-28-00

Postby Zweistein » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:03 pm

What about the geo/videoscape format? Are there any documentations to that?

I would like to create Opengl games. i would like to use Blender as a modeller and i thing the videoscape format is nice. or waht do you think?

So are there any documentations about that?

Postby Oxygenic » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:07 pm

z3r0_d wrote:nope, and there isn't really a reason to
look at the loading functions and the structs it loads things into.

Sorry, but the method, to reverse-engineer software to get some basic information, is bullshit. Thats the best way to get incompatible and useless fileformats / software.

Every developer may interpret the code in a slightly different way. And so you only need some software lifecycles until you get in big trouble. The other way would be correct: specify a format and the software has to fit to this specification.

Just a remark: I'd implement a open Java3D loader for the blender format - if I could find a useable specification of it. IMHO the missing specifications here are a big restraint for making Blender more popular.

Return to “Documentation & Education”