Implementing focal blur (depth of field) feature ?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

commanderz

Implementing focal blur (depth of field) feature ?

Postby commanderz » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:07 am

When wil we have real focal blur features in blender ?

This feature is one of the important means for good animations. I need it.

Every 3D animation package includes focal blur (depth of field) by easily using camera properties.

Are there any plans to implement it in one of the next blender releases ?

All that methods with plugins or other workarounds are very cumbersome and fault-prone.

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:19 pm

Think that the best option would be to make DOF use the same system as MOTION BLUR This is alreaty possible buy spinning the capera while tracking and object (The focal point) Thus this could be implimented in Blender with 2 IPO Added :
Apature size
Focus
Accuracy (how many points to render 4/8/16/32/48/64)

Autofocus would also be cool and a delay factor so ibjects dont focus too quick.

The while thing would work like modion blur but not pass through time when rendering.

It would be slow but look awesome.

Wouild also look nice with raytracing!
-Cam

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:35 pm

Best bet is to wait till yafray is tightly integrated so you just tell it to use the yafray renderer and then set the various options for DOF for that renderer. Plus you'll have all the other options available from Yafray! But it will be a while yet till its available. I'm waiting patiently.... er... trying to at least.

harkyman

Postby harkyman » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:34 am

Or, for those of us who do animation and don't want or need to give our frames a full-on Yaffing, integration of the DOF plugin, or direct export of the z-buffer with images, like you can do with the alpha channel. This would be soooooooooo useful for a variety of post-processing effects.

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:19 am

You can fake it with fog, but yeah, it'd sure be a hell of a lot easier if we could just save it down along with the render. Especially with things like Photoshop CS's new Lens Blur filter.

chimera

Postby chimera » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:26 am

I dont have a blenderinstallation here so correct me if I'm wrong:
the focal blur could be added in the renderbuttons. but the other nice thing is this sorta glowing. easy setup with gimp for stills. but not for anims.

maybe it is already available, to set this. maybe in the renderbuttons -> postprocess? when unified renderer is checked.

slikdigit

Postby slikdigit » Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:11 pm

glow is possible with the sequence editor. Harkeyman + Broken: great idea about the z-buffer; you could do a lot with that both in sequence editor and gimp. I wonder if a sequence plugin exists for this? (though it would be nice for it to happen automatically in one render pass)

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:59 am

slikdigit wrote:glow is possible with the sequence editor. Harkeyman + Broken: great idea about the z-buffer; you could do a lot with that both in sequence editor and gimp. I wonder if a sequence plugin exists for this? (though it would be nice for it to happen automatically in one render pass)

Which technique does the existing zblur seq.-plugin use?

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:57 am

Eric wrote:Which technique does the existing zblur seq.-plugin use?

it blurrs based (well...) on the depth value of an image

iirc yafray uses that method too, it is fast but inaccurate in situations.

Riskbreaker

Postby Riskbreaker » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:08 pm

on top of that, zblur uses Gaussian blur in conjunction with the z-buffer render pass.

Also theres that effect that sorta looks like lense flares when light sources are blurred. Its got this wierd long name to it, i cant seem to google it out.

Still, Im satisfied with zblur. While still not accurate as it should be, it is pretty fast, good for anims too. But hey, anyone plugs in a better DOF, Im all for it.

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:26 pm

Riskbreaker wrote:Also theres that effect that sorta looks like lense flares when light sources are blurred. Its got this wierd long name to it, i cant seem to google it out.

You mean the effect from the overlapping circles of confusion? You can fake this effect by doing a blur, but on a high definition (float, 16bit, etc) source image, but you still don't get the nice patterns from the aperture shape (eg. the hexagonal looking out of focus street lights in the city, raining at night).

Smerity

Bokeh Effect

Postby Smerity » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:41 pm

Riskbreaker - I think ur talking about the Bokeh effect...

Put really simply, it's "out of focus blur quality" and has a very peculiar effect on lights...

Very exaggerated example

Here are some links describing the effect (in tradional sense)
http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/Guy/bokeh.html

And here's one that lists how to fake it (albeit manually) in a graphics app... Could be done in Blender pretty easily using the Glow (not afterglow) plugin, blowing the brightness like hell and bringing down the brightness of the overall image and overlaying over the original(?)
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/faking_bokeh/faking_bokeh.htm

Hope it helps =)

Return to “Rendering”