Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

phone

raytracing!!!

Postby phone » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:02 pm

that`s what i waited for:
there`s Raytracing for Blender!
I just downloaded a preview and tried it on my odd 233Mhz
notebook with windows. And yes it works fine. I want that for my MacOS X.(Download failed!).
Anybody else tried it?
Thanks Ton!

jd-multi

Postby jd-multi » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:07 am

Yeah I did, but all people know it right now I think, but what we need to do is to publish a little pdf file with one big tutorial on how to make a raytrace render with it, and each time a new raytracer feature is implantated, the tutorial would be updated :D, so at the end we have one big tutorial that tells all the features in the raytrace. This would be Great and very usefull for new blender users, so they can check it out :P

dreamsgate

Postby dreamsgate » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:30 am

I would like that! I have yet to use raytracing, cause I haven't had time to try and figure it out on my own.

leon

Postby leon » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:06 am

In case you don't know, here's a quick beginners how-to for reflection / refraction:

- If you want to use raytracing you need the button "Ray" clicked on in the render buttons window.

- The settings for raytracing are in the tab "Mirror Transp" on the material window.

- To make a material reflective: click "Ray mirror" on, and adjust the "RayMir" slider to change the amount of relection. "Depth" is the number of bounces calculated. "Fresnel" and "Fac" control how the reflection falls off as the angle to the viewer changes - you can leave "Fresnel" at zero for starters....

- To make a material refractive, first make sure it is transparent by changing the "alpha" slider in the main material tab to something less than 1. Then go back to the "Mirror Transp" tab and click "Ray Transp" on. IOR is the index of refraction (try something like 1.2 for starters). The other sliders (depth, fresnel, fac) are the same as for the reflection settings

- Click render!

}{azuki

Raytracing problem

Postby }{azuki » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:51 am

I Know its probly a beta or whatever but, there is a problem i found with it. When you turn the raytracing mirror all the way up in the shader menu and then render the image, you cant get a spec of specularity on the object. Anyone else notice that? Other than that it looks great. :lol:

theeth

Re: Raytracing problem

Postby theeth » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:54 pm

}{azuki wrote:I Know its probly a beta or whatever but, there is a problem i found with it. When you turn the raytracing mirror all the way up in the shader menu and then render the image, you cant get a spec of specularity on the object. Anyone else notice that? Other than that it looks great. :lol:

How is that a bug? Look at a good mirror and you will notice that the specularity highlights are rather faint. A perfect mirror would have no specularity at all, since it would reflect away all light.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

}{azuki

No spec=bug

Postby }{azuki » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:54 am

Welp, thats just how its supposed to work. It is a bug because if you apply a subtle amount of reflection, the specularity goes dim on the object. Im not trying to slam blender because i think that, other than the above, the raytracer works very well. I tested blenders raytracer against a very high end, high cost 3d suite and blenders reflection seems to work better. It was more clear, like a mirror. I was surprized. Also, with blender, i had a mirroring surface that reflected the raytraced shadows that were cast onto a surface and it looked very nice where as the costly program showed none!

Return to “Rendering”