Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender as a video editor...

theraz

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:58 am
Is there any interest in developing the Sequence Editor further?
I love this little-used part of Blender. It was really quite versitile, and much faster than any other video editing tool now available for Linux (or WIndoze/Mac, for that matter!). If the Sequence Editor could have sound capablities, and perhaps a few more fades/dissolves/filters/effects, I could capture with dvgrab, and use Blender for editing, sound dubbing, and effects, resorting only to an audio editor for a few little things! Right now, the editor is a bit primitive, but in the right hands, I bet common editing features like split clip, crop clip, join clips, cut, copy, paste, etc. would be easy to add. And if we have Chroma Keying, I would be in heaven, seriously!
Dreams, perhaps, but maybe there is some interest.
Any thoughts?
The Raz (Faithful user since 1.72!)
PS- Great to be back, Great to have Blender back!

nay

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:10 am
I'd like to see that too, there was a thread a couple of days ago on the same issue - seems quite a few people were interested, unfortuneately I can't code so I'll just cross figures rather than coding with them! Embarassed

SirDude

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:34 pm
Checkout the wipeout plugin and the chromakey plugins.

They should be able to do everything you mentioned except for the
audio. At least one person has already started on the audio so
I'm sure that will come along as well.

Saluk

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:35 pm
Wow, chroma keying. That would be the coolest thing ever! I'd also like to see virtual set capabilities:) Dreams...

mthoenes

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:57 pm
Saluk said
Quote:
I'd also like to see virtual set capabilities:) Dreams...

Do you mean Virtual Set, like Adobe Premiere's Virtual Clips... I thought the M-Key "Make meta" was that sort of thing. I do make Meta and then dduplicate the meta strip. Maybe you mean something else?

Saluk

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:08 pm
What I mean by virtual set, is where you have the actors in front of a blue screen, but you place control points around the set (green balls or something). THen you create your models etc for the background, but you put the same control points around the scene. It tracks the video and rotates the 3d camera to match the points on the real set.

FishB8

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:51 am
@theraz - have you perchance tried out Cinelerra? It's an excellent video editor for Linux. It supports DV capture, editing functions, audio tracks and chroma keying / compositing. Yeah, blender may add some of these post-production features in the future, but if you need them now, I would strongly recommend taking a look at it.

Cinelerra Link

theraz

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:02 pm
Yes, I have tried Cinelerra. It doesn't work for me. I spent a month trying to compile the source code, no use. I also downloaded the RPMs and used alien to convert them to .deb's, which at least allowed me to start up the program and get a look. It looked very nice, and seemed quite functional, but I have had non-stop problems with quicktime_codec.so errors (no loading of DV, no loading of anything!). Quicktime for Linux is included in the package, there shouldn't be any of these problems! The user community is very unhelpful, too, and I have never received a reply from the developer on my emails requesting help. Perhaps alien is to blame for the quicktime_codec.so errors, but I have never had issues with alien. This screams "sloppy package making" to me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Also, if you are interested, look at:
Jahshaka (slowy coming toward a release)
Kino
Veejay
Linux Video Studio

Thanks,
The Raz

lokmer

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:15 am
What would be involved in adding proper sound support to the video editor? It might very well be worth setting up a sub-project for this. Ton, are you listening? Smile

I'd be very interested in being involved in this. Anyone else?
-Lokmer

WeWa

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:32 pm
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/plugins/sequence.html <--- the plugins, just incase you were to lazzy to search for them Mad

WeWa

gnomis

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:34 pm
I saw this and thought of you
http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2002/xiph.html

Jump to: