Nitrox - a few questions

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

t_revs

Nitrox - a few questions

Postby t_revs » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:59 am

Hi

Just a few questions about Nitrox Ntework Renderer.

Is it a Windoze prog?

Is there a binary?

Does it work yet?

If so where can I download it?

Cheers

z3r0_d

Re: Nitrox - a few questions

Postby z3r0_d » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:52 am

t_revs wrote:Is it a Windoze prog?

no
t_revs wrote:Is there a binary?

no, it is python
t_revs wrote:Does it work yet?

I guess it would if your blend file fits in a single packet (less than 2k I believe), but even then you would have to get the frames back
t_revs wrote:If so where can I download it?

http://projects.blender.org/projects/nitrox/

there are better programs that do the same thing (but better), I wouldn't know of any though (having not looked)

mcbridea

Postby mcbridea » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:48 am

You can also use Renderd for network rendering. I have a compiled version at the link below (Windows and Linux).

http://www.crosscannon.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

ManO

Postby ManO » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:33 pm

mcbridea wrote:You can also use Renderd for network rendering. I have a compiled version at the link below (Windows and Linux).

http://www.crosscannon.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1

Looks what im looking for but how do you make it work?

I have a Mandrake 9.2 box which I wish to use as the rendering machene. I have my XP box which I wish to use for my modeling and scene set up workstation.

I may be dence but I could use some help.

Mike Norton

mcbridea

Postby mcbridea » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:59 pm

ManO wrote:
mcbridea wrote:You can also use Renderd for network rendering. I have a compiled version at the link below (Windows and Linux).

Looks what im looking for but how do you make it work?

I have a Mandrake 9.2 box which I wish to use as the rendering machene. I have my XP box which I wish to use for my modeling and scene set up workstation.

I may be dence but I could use some help.

Mike Norton

I have had some trouble setting this up with Linux as the renderd and WinXP as the broker. I get connection errors. I'm not a Linux guru at all, but I can get it to render with Linux as the broker and XP as the renderd computer. A while back (before Tuhopuu was merged from the bf-tree) I submitted a patch to enable the Network Render button in Blender. I haven't had time to resubmit it to the new tree because of studying PreCalculus and Calculus. Anyways, here's a quick How-To.

Quick How-To:

1. Create 2 subfolders inside the blender folder. Name them brokertasks and brokerdone
2. Extract the files in the zip (or tgz for Linux) to your blender directory.
3. Edit the renderd.config file (if needed)
4. Start broker from the command line on one of the computer that you will use to send the blend files.
5. Start renderd from the command line on each of your computers that you want to render your scene.
6. Check to see if broker found your renderd computers.
7. Find the file that you want to render and copy it to your brokertasks folder.
8. Check the broker to ensure that it accepted the file and is starting to render with renderd.
9. Get Coffee or keep using blender on your non-rendering machine.

ManO

Postby ManO » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:16 pm

Thanks man. Ok, I seem to be having some sucsess.

I followed your directions. I placed a small test.blend file in the tasks folder and broker reported that it was going. But my renderd machene is still sitting there saying that its running. No report of rendering.

Broker moved the file from the tasks folder to the done folder but no images.

Could it be my blender setup on the linux box? Pluse broker never said it saw my linux box.

THanks for the help man. If you email me we can get this off list. mike@fblo.org

Mike Norotn

wumamor

Postby wumamor » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:52 pm

i recently read a tip in another post but it goes like this: share the broker directory so the rendering "slave" comps can access it - then run the renderd.exe file on the "slave" comps FROM this directory ( you wont have to deal with adding file paths ) so in other words, if you want to use the linux box as the broker and the windows machine(s) as the "slaves" then also ftp the windows renderd.exe file to that same directory and run it from that shared directory. you can share a linux directory on windows machines via a utility called samba (setting this up is the subject for another time ill assume the reader knows how to do this :P ) and, actually, you prolly wont have to ftp the windows exe file to the shared directory if you can acess it via the windows machines cause you should be able to save and delete files in this directory already :) anywho, i just thought i would post this as it seems like a great tip to not have to deal with file paths.

Return to “Rendering”