more particles... (29/02/2004)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:53 am

leon wrote:I do think its a good idea though - every time you make a change to the particle system it recalculates, and this can be a pain.

leon

Then why don't you use something like the ¨Detaly Deform¨ button for Armatures? It makes a lot more sense to have a ¨Delay Calculation¨ button than pressing Esc everytime one manipulate the particle system.

For the case when the user hit RENDER with the ¨Delay Calculation¨ set to ON .. I guess (remember that I don't know C programming) that the ¨Delay Calculation¨ button would keep an internal (in memory) flag to know if the particles has been re-calculated since the last manipulation.. if the calcs are ¨up-to-date¨ then proceed with the render. If the calcs are not updated, then proceed to re-calculate the particles and them proceed to render.

About the progress meter ala Yafray... PLEASE DON'T !!!
That progress bar certainly looks cute, but with looooong render/calculation times it just seems as if it is frozen... so it makes the user even more ansious. I preffer to have the every 1000 particles a message instead of a filling progress bar. If I were to add something to the messages that would be a % indicator.

¨3000 particles calculated, 56% of the calculation is done¨

By the Way, I loved the YAPU thing :shock: :D :D

poutsa

Postby poutsa » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:41 am

Can we see all this Deflector and Gravity Experimental Tests in one of the next Blender Official Versions maybe 2.33 or 2.34 or later...?

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:48 am

poutsa wrote:Can we see all this Deflector and Gravity Experimental Tests in one of the next Blender Official Versions maybe 2.33 or 2.34 or later...?

Actually, I think that leon is way past the ¨experimental¨ stage and well into the ¨working¨ status. I would like to see this stuff on 2.33 :P

BTW, any idea on when 2.33 will be released?

leon

Postby leon » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:44 pm

hi all,

Apollux, thanks for the support! It's appreciated!

Thanks to all for the comments.... on the progress indicator thing, I've been playing with it a bit. It's similar to what Apollux suggested, but it just outputs the number of particles currently calculated. Not every particle, but 100 times during the total calculation, so it doesn't slow down calculations with large numbers of particles.

Work has been far too stressful lately, so I haven't had much chance to work on this, hopefully I'll have a bit more progress this weekend....

Cheers

Leon

Apollux

Postby Apollux » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:25 am

leon wrote:hi all,

Apollux, thanks for the support! It's appreciated!

Thanks to all for the comments.... on the progress indicator thing, I've been playing with it a bit. It's similar to what Apollux suggested, but it just outputs the number of particles currently calculated. Not every particle, but 100 times during the total calculation, so it doesn't slow down calculations with large numbers of particles.

Work has been far too stressful lately, so I haven't had much chance to work on this, hopefully I'll have a bit more progress this weekend....

Cheers

Leon

:D I'm even doing propaganda of your work http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127594

leon

Postby leon » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:54 am

hehe, thanks!

And there's another update... I'll post it in the next few hours.... (have to get some lunch now!)

Return to “Testing Builds”