Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon borland compiler?

beatabix

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:55 am
just downloaded the source, and i'm weighing up my options.
i'm running winXP on my main PC, and win98se on my secondary one.

is borland C++ free 5 suitable for simply compiling the code for myself? or should i go for cygwin or minGW (both of which appear to me to be just short of slick enough)?

opinions?

BEAT

IoN_PuLse

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:28 am
You're running WinXP...so how slick is that choice *smirks*

beatabix

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:50 pm
plenty slick enough --> i've never had any problems with it.

my point is, nobody here seems to be using the borland compiler, and i was wondering if there was a particular reason. will it compile blender or not?

the other options looks as if they are still being glued together. i don't want to download something and then find that i need to go and download something else, and then something else, ad infinitum, before it will work properly.

is this the case? will cygwin or minGW simply download, upack, and run, as is?

i'm not one of those people who thinks that there's nothing more fun than a weekend spent fiddling with environment variables and stuff like that.

BEAT

Eric

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:03 pm
beatabix wrote:
plenty slick enough --> i've never had any problems with it.

define "problems".

BugsB

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:10 pm
beatabix wrote:

the other options looks as if they are still being glued together. i don't want to download something and then find that i need to go and download something else, and then something else, ad infinitum, before it will work properly.

is this the case? will cygwin or minGW simply download, upack, and run, as is?

no. i installed cygwin on windows 98 se to compile the autoconf-version, but autoconfig failed. and i'm not one of those people who wants to learn two cryptic script languages just to fiddle with scripts to get some sources compiled.-)
i hope, we will get a make system, that doesn't rely on cryptic script stuff.
i tried cmake this weekend and it looks very promising. hey, it even has an option to create borland makefiles. and if i there is a problem with cmake, i have the ability to solve it quickly, because it's written in c... hey, it's the language blender is written in.

- bugsb

beatabix

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:42 pm
/me wonders why people can't answer a simple question without being distracted by their opinions about operating systems Confused

putting it simply --> does the borland free compiler work?

BEAT

ps--> thanks BugsB for actually answering part of my question Smile

IoN_PuLse

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:41 am
WinXP may work but there are a lot of big brother components that microsoft delightfully included.
ANYHOW,
as far as I know the borland compiler if very capable, however Blender's source was not written for it so compiler-specific changes would need to take place for compilation to be successful. This would probably be a lengthy process.

Zarf

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:01 pm
BCC32 is nice. its quality softs and I personally thinks its a great dev enviorment.

It's also a bitch and a half to use if you don't know a lot about development enviorments.

The standard C/C++ system lib that almost every windows application links against uses a different lib format than BCC (msvcrt is COFF format for example and BCC uses OMF for its libs). I won't bore you with the techincal details of WHY this is a problem (if you really want to know just read the docs) but suffice to say BCC can't make use of MANY libs 'out of the box'

Fortunatley the fine folks at Borland provide a very nice application that will create a 'dummy' lib in OMF format around any COFF lib that will export a symbol table that BCC can read and use. This is included with the tools. COFF2OMF.exe I think.

(and don't let any linooks or unix users raz you about using winXP. They are just jealous because they don't have photoshop, illustrator, quark,coreldraw or dozens of other industry standard applications out there (and no, Gimp isn't nearly a replacement for photoshop and killustrator is a joke. Get over it.))

Jump to: