Amiga
No votes
Other (please specify)
1%

Total votes: 74

sasKuach

What OS?

Postby sasKuach » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:17 pm

Just a poll to see what OSes people use and see what demand there is for renderers on platforms besides linux and windoze.

Sonarman

Postby Sonarman » Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:30 am

Linux!!! :D

But, I think *BSD and OS X definetely should be separate, even though the kernels are similar, LOTS of stuff is really different (for example *BSD uses X11 and Mac OS X uses Aqua, although it's possible to run X on X too), and Mac OS X is much more "proprietry" (sp?) then the 3 other BSDs. Darwin (the BSD kernel for OS X) has a really cool mascot though, Hexley! Here he is:

Bye!

unperson

Postby unperson » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:33 pm

I agree that it should be listed separately - in terms of their differences. Actually, OSX is a microkernel platform while BSD is still a macrokernel (like Linux) platform. OSX only uses BSD system components - so it looks like BSD (at the terminal) but the architecture's rather different. As you pointed out, the main visible difference to the user is the GUI.

However, when you look at the numbers we're seeing right now. Separating them has little or no impact because Linux and Windows together make up nearly 90% of the total count. Practically speaking, it's probably not worth the effort. The poll itself hasn't generated too much interest. It needs to be on the main Blender.org page so that everyone sees it and votes - then the separation might have some value.

sasKuach

Postby sasKuach » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:06 pm

Sorry, I was gonna put OS X after windows, but I put BSD there, and didn't feel like bumping down all the others (or put OS X at the very end)

As far as I know (according to O'Reilly), OS X is very much based on NeXT, with a Mach kernel. So, yes, it should be separate.

dunbar

Blender to be?

Postby dunbar » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:30 pm

Not using it yet. Maybe someday....

unperson

Postby unperson » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:55 am

At 51 people having responded to the poll - the numbers are a tad off. There's 6% missing!

:-)

dreamerv3

Postby dreamerv3 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:08 pm

Format the hardrive, make windows go extinct!

Return to “Rendering”