bf-blender / Windows (2004/03/13)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jesterKing
Site Admin

bf-blender / Windows (2004/03/13)

Postby jesterKing » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:52 pm

A new CVS build is available:

http://www.letwory.net/cvsbuilds/bf_blender_windows_20040310.tar.gz

The most notable addition is the non-proportional mode for loopcut.

for a complete changelog see the in the new page at
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Changes_since_2_32.66.0.html.

This page will be even more detailed than the previous lists I compiled for you.

Enjoy!

/jesterKing

ps. see the splash for the date and time it has been built (Help>>About...), use that when reporting bugs/issues.
Last edited by jesterKing on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djfuego

Woohaaa!

Postby djfuego » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:32 am

8)

nitro3d

Postby nitro3d » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:51 pm

Hi,

First of all I'd just like to say thanks for all your great work on these blender releases.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the right place to report bugs but I didn't quite now how to use the bug tracker section of this website so here goes.

When wanting to change an image texture on any given mesh using the CTRL+LMB hotkey to bring up the thumb nail browser, on some occasions blender will freeze. The Windows task manager cannot be used and it is required to reboot the computer.

Redo:
Add a mesh and give it an image texture. Then try changing that image using the CTRL+LMB hotkey. It may take several attempts but it does usually crash after a while.

Not a serious Bug I know, just a little annoying the way you have to keep rebooting the computer everytime this happens.

Current OS:
Windows 2000 professional

Hardware:
AMD Athlon 2600
NVidia G-Force 4

I hope this information is helpful to you.

thanks

Jon

Mel_Q

Postby Mel_Q » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:11 pm

nitro3d wrote:Hi,

First of all I'd just like to say thanks for all your great work on these blender releases.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the right place to report bugs but I didn't quite now how to use the bug tracker section of this website so here goes.

When wanting to change an image texture on any given mesh using the CTRL+LMB hotkey to bring up the thumb nail browser, on some occasions blender will freeze. The Windows task manager cannot be used and it is required to reboot the computer.

Redo:
Add a mesh and give it an image texture. Then try changing that image using the CTRL+LMB hotkey. It may take several attempts but it does usually crash after a while.

Not a serious Bug I know, just a little annoying the way you have to keep rebooting the computer everytime this happens.

Current OS:
Windows 2000 professional

Hardware:
AMD Athlon 2600
NVidia G-Force 4

I hope this information is helpful to you.

thanks

Jon

Jon: the thumbnail view selection screen has been known to do this for a while, so it was 'removed' but still available using the 'ctrl' key-
But, it's still buggy- you would be better off using the standard file select screen.
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=125

One thing that helped me was to get any nonstandard (including jpeg compressed avi's) image files out of my main texture directory, leaving just jpegs and TGA's... hope that helps...

nitro3d

Postby nitro3d » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:07 am

Thanks! :)

Skelet

Postby Skelet » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:09 am

Well glad to see russian translation, you just got 120.000.000 potential users :)
The Skelet

nitro3d

Postby nitro3d » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:01 am

Hi again,

These new Blender builds are great but what I find that's really missing in the Blender development is some of the post producion FX that are often needed for a good render.

I know that there are many good python scripts out there that do a lot of different kind of post-production FX but isn't it possible to intergrate these FX into blender itself without the use of scripts.

In my view, a python script should only be needed for something very specific. Things like Focul Blur, however, I think should be a feature in Blender. I'e been using blender for about 5 years and in that time, many of my projects have evolved around making something look real.

My latest project for example could use Focul Blur but the ZBlur python script doesn't seem to run on the latest versions of Blender. I'm having to hop between various different Blender versions just to get simple things done. The problem with python scripts is that they do often fall out of date and become incompatible with the new Blender releases.

There's also another suggestion that I had in mind. "Motion Blur" do the frames really have to be rendered one at a time in order to accomplish this affect. From what I know, Motion Blur is a post-production process and therefor could be done in the sequence editor. Or am I wrong? Motion Blur looks great but takes a very long time to render, especially in complex scenes. Just think about how much faster it could if it was all calculated using pre-rendered frames via the sequence editor.

It would also be a lot easier to decided where you want the motion blur to be. Using the sequence editor, you could conveniently place and remove motion blur in scenes of slow and fast motion.

Getting these kinds of tools into blender will make it easier and a lot more appealing for the serious CG Film creators like myself to produce more impressive CG Films using Blender and therefor creating more awareness of Blender. There have been some occasions when I wanted to move to another software such as Maya or 3DSMax but didn't because of one important thing, I truly believe in the power of open source. To make a CG Film using an open source production has been a long term ambition for me and presents an exciting challenge.

Please let me know what you think about my ideas

Thanks

Jon

gabio

Postby gabio » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:44 pm

I'm so close to get it compiled but this scons is very sharp for non-standard compiler like the .net framework. i found the reason why scons could not start but now i can't fix it. look at the FAQ:
4.3. Why doesn't SCons find my compiler/linker/etc.? I can execute it just fine from the command line.
A:

A common problem for new users is that SCons can't seem to find a compiler, linker or other utility that they can run just fine from the command line. This is almost always because, by default, SCons does not use the same PATH environment variable that you use from the command line, so it can't find a program that has been installed in a "non-standard" location unless you tell it how. Here is the explanation from the SCons man page:

scons does not automatically propagate the external environment used to execute scons to the commands used to build target files. This is so that builds will be guaranteed repeatable regardless of the environment variables set at the time scons is invoked. This also means that if the compiler or other commands that you want to use to build your target files are not in standard system locations, scons will not find them unless you explicitly set the PATH to include those locations.

Fortunately, it's easy to propagate the PATH value from your external environment by initializing the ENV construction variable as follows:

import os
env = Environment(ENV = \{'PATH' : os.environ['PATH']\})

Alternatively, you might want to propagate your entire external environment to the build commands as follows:

import os
env = Environment(ENV = os.environ)

Of course, by propagating external environment variables into your build, you're running the risk that a change in the external environment will affect the build, possibly in unintended ways. The way to guarantee that the build is repeatable is to explicitly initialize the PATH

path = ['/bin', '/usr/bin', '/path/to/other/compiler/bin']
env = Environment(ENV = \{'PATH' : path\})

cool, but where do i add these lines?

jesterKing
Site Admin

already done.

Postby jesterKing » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:31 am

gabio wrote:I'm so close to get it compiled but this scons is very sharp for non-standard compiler like the .net framework. i found the reason why scons could not start but now i can't fix it. look at the FAQ:

I use the .net framework all the time (the downloaded one) next to MSVS7 and 6. The path to the compiler can be set in the config.opts, so this has already been take care of. Also, you need to run the sdkvars.bat (the downloaded version) or vcvars32.bat (from the visual studio version) and either update the vars in config.opts or delete it and let scons create a new one with the new environment variables set.

/jesterKing

ps. I'll be uploading a newer CVS build within the week, since the gameengine has been updated to Blender 2.25 status (physics).

Return to “Testing Builds”