Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Theme: how to get blender compiled

totally_blended

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:17 am
What about a releases-Roadmap with certain Milestones, like 'compiles out-of-the box under linux, ....' with association of CVS-Release-Tags.

This would document the actual progress, clarifying what is thought to be done and what is not. This would save me some time, because I can decide when I should checkout a new snapshot and should not waste my time with the outdated tar-ball.

Only sugestions.

Heinz

thorax

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:29 am
lesly wrote:

I think we have to be in this together. This is a community right? Working together to make Blender KING of the 3d world......Maya,Max,Softimage and Lightwave better watch out!!!

Well it mostly depends on how experienced the crew that is freely
developing blender is at 3D programming, I would be willing to bet
that talent will be getting jobs at the other sites and blender will
continue to be the bottom rung, but I think how it will really help is
in free speech, say you need a feature, you could implement it in blender just by reusing some of the existing code, and publish the code as open source, forcing all those at Alias/Wavefront, Kinetix and NewTek to
comply, because darnit if they are going to be the bottom rung.. Think of open source as the worst that any software can get, if you raise that bar you can get all the inefficient and poorly written software off the market..

Its why I think guys like IBM and Sun encourage open source projects, what do they have to worry about, their technology is superior to their competitors, how do you eliminate the competition, create open source projects that zero in on their competitors products.. Of course it makes making the software better, tougher. Also if anyone can prove they are better than IBM or SUN, they will see that person on their radar
instantly and make offers to hire them as developers.. Microsoft hates Open Source because it allows any developer to produce standards that are not driven by money (ala Microsoft). How do you make Microsoft
dance, shoot source code bullets at their feet..

Open sourcing is a cruel business (* not *) but someone has to do it.

lesly

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:50 am
thanks for reading me note Thorax

"Well it mostly depends on how experienced the crew that is freely
developing blender is at 3D programming, I would be willing to bet
that talent will be getting jobs at the other sites and blender will
in free speech, say you need a feature, you could implement it in blender just by reusing some of the existing code, and publish the code as open source, forcing all those at Alias/Wavefront, Kinetix and NewTek to
comply, because darnit if they are going to be the bottom rung.. Think of open source as the worst that any software can get, if you raise that bar you can get all the inefficient and poorly written software off the market.."

I have lived my life as idealistically as I possible can for as long as I can remember. It really sucks in a screwed up world where we have what is happening ,like what you said above.

But just because doing something that we believe in is hard and most of the time the world just don't work when things become free and no money is involved, we should NOT be disheartened.

I don't believe in working for money. I know what some of you may think regarding that sentence. He must be insane, just talking shit.

And the GNU-GPL liscense thing is exactly what working for something you're passionate about and care about is all about. Never because of how much some people will be paying you, that ain't gonna happen dude.

So....lets just make the best who we have and what we have.

At least we know that the ones who DO do something about Blender are the ones really passionate about it and we can put our trust in them. They won't be doing it for money.And that makes all the difference actually , us Blender programmers/wannabes and those earning 10K a month working for Maya and Those Others.

Live it up all you Blenderheads!!

[/quote]

pato

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:30 pm
thorax wrote:
Well it mostly depends on how experienced the crew that is freely developing blender is at 3D programming, I would be willing to bet that talent will be getting jobs at the other sites and blender will
comply, because darnit if they are going to be the bottom rung.. Think of open source as the worst that any software can get, if you raise that bar you can get all the inefficient and poorly written software off the market..

Actually, if you look at most mature open source projects I think you'll find that the exact opposite is true. Generally people who work on open source projects do so because they *love* to code, not necesarily because they don't know how. Certainly there are lots of novices looking to learn but they're usually guided by the more experienced coders. Often times the more experienced people in the project already have day jobs coding and work on their open source projects at home as a hobby. Many times these people are some of the best at what they do because they have a passion for coding.

Let's take a look at Apache, Sendmail and Bind as examples of mature open source projects. These are the programs which power a large part (if not the majority) of the internet. You rely on these programs every day whether or not you realize it whenever you're using the internet. At any rate it will be interesting to see what becomes of Blender. The other commercial modelers have a good head start on us. Let's see how long it will take us to pass them! Very Happy

-Pato

Eric

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:05 am
pato wrote:

Let's take a look at Apache, Sendmail and Bind as examples of mature open source projects. These are the programs which power a large part (if not the majority) of the internet.

Apache is used on more than 65% of all internet servers in the world and on more than 85% in europe O_o.

lightweave

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:37 am
When I read the postings here it seems that most people, trying to compile, do this under linux. I have no problem with that and like Linux very much, but my main machine is Windows so I ctried to compile it there and got the following result:

In order to succesfully compile most of the libraries you have to create directory structure lib\windows\xxx\include where xxx stands for an internal project name. You have to copy the include files manually over there. Probably this will be done by a makefile but I haven't gone to deep yet as it is rather late and I wanted to see how far I can get in a short time. I can provide the exact directory structure if somebody is interested in it, or I can even zip it and post it somewhere. I can also write a small python script that does this creating/copying for you, so tell me if and what I should do about it.

The next precondition is that you download several open source libraries for jpeg, png, zlib support. I think also a soundlibrary is needed fmod but I'm not sure if this is the name of the lib though the name sounds familiar to me. I have to track this down or maybe somebdoy knows it.
You also need OpenAL and OpenSSL but I don't know where to get the first and if it is free. A pointer would be appreciated.

One file needs changes to the project settings ( I prefer to change the project settings instead of my compiler global settings):
blendercreator:
added ..\..\lib\windows\png\include
added ..\..\lib\windows\zlib\include

One project file is missing along with the associated files: SSR_server.dsp

The following is a list of projects that couldn't be compiled because of missing files. They are not in the source tarball and I'd like to know why they are not there or where to get them. I always listed the project name and the file that is reported missing:
BL_imbuf blenkey.h
BL_src_cre blenkey.h
BL_src_pub blenkey.h
BLO_readstreamglue blenkey.h
BLO_writestreamglue blenkey.h
BLO_writestreamglue_stub blenkey.h
datatoc: datatoc.c
GP_ghost: png.h?
SM_solid: several cpp files missing
SND_fmod: fmod.h
SND_openal: requires OpenAL to be installed where to get it?
SND_sound: fmod.h

BLO_decrypt requires openssl (not yet installed, have to download it)
BLO_encrypt requires openssl (not yet installed, have to download it)
BLO_sign requires openssl (not yet installed, have to download it)
BLO_verify requires openssl (not yet installed, have to download it)

I have png installed but this project still refuses to compile. Maybe it needs a special version or I have to try the newes download. Will try this tomorrow.
blendercreator png.h?
blenderpublisher png.h?

These projects require files that are in the tarball but couldn't be found by VC even though I corrected the settings. Maybe there is a pathlimit in the settings and I have to try this tomorrow.
GP_axctl: Physics files are there but not found by VC6. Path limit in project settings?
KX_converter: Physics files are there but not found by VC6. Path limit in project settings?
PHY_Dummy: Physics files are there but not found by VC6. Path limit in project settings?

This one requires the lib. I still have to check out why this name is used because .a is usuallz a unix name. Maybe there is something wrong in the settings.
DNA_makesdna: libguardedalloc.a

Even though this looks pretty much, it is actually a minority of the files. Most of the files can be compiled without problems, though they issue a lot of warnings which should be fixed. I hope this info is helpfull to somebody for the windows distribution. Smile

broberts

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:57 am
after much tinkering, I got blender compiled, and have documented and repeated the procedure many times.

I have X 4.2, python 2.0, gcc 3.2, make 3.80, glibc 2.2.5, mozilla 1.1.

1) apply this patch:
http://dagny.student.umd.edu/blender/blender-2.25b-patch.bz2
2) modify source/nan_definitions.mk to suit your system (most certainly different from mine)
2) follow these directions:
http://dagny.student.umd.edu/blender/COMPILE
(this would be very easy to automate with a top-level Makefile...)

the blenderstatic binary is actually quite dynamically linked. I have not yet tried to install the program, or use it extensively, since I just got it to learn how to use it. Hopefully most people know what to do with it once it compiles for them.

Here's a brief description of the most important things the patch does:
- fixes the Makefiles to include the nan_*.mk files from the variable $(SRCHOME),
which is discovered by the top-level Makefile in the same way as the Linux kernel's Makefile does for $(TOPDIR). Because of this, to build in another directory (like the intern directories) you must set SRCHOME= wherever the top-level Makefile is.
- changes program paths in nan_definitions.mk
- changes openssl, jpeg, png, etc. to be dynamically linked.
- changes the location of mozilla's include files since they are now arranged into subdirectories; dynamically adds all of the subdirectories to the include paths for the netscape plugin.
- changes the name of a class and header file in the netscape plugin to the Obsolete name, since the class itself has been obsoleted by a newer API and I don't know enough about mozilla to migrate the code.
- links the python blender module with libutil and libpthread, which were not included in the linked libraries by default but needed to be.
- changes locations of mxTextTools, libfrozen, openAL, more...

benoit

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:35 am
lightweave wrote:
When I read the postings here it seems that most people, trying to compile, do this under linux. I have no problem with that and like Linux very much, but my main machine is Windows so I ctried to compile it there and got the following result:

Did you really read previous posts in this forum??? There are some posts about successfull windows compilation :

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=82

Benoit

lightweave

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:24 pm
I did read the posts and I also downloaded the doc you wrote (why a doc file and not something more suited to Open Source like HTML)?

Many of that stuff I already knew (at least about the directories and the libraries) but I could use some links in there. Smile

The only problem I still have is this missing project SSR_server. Do you know about that? That was what interested me most because this is a stopper. I just downloaded the CVS module and it's also not in there.
Also the blenkey.h is missing (and various other files). I wonder how you compiled without them and you didn''t mention these files as missing.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: