bf-blender Linux-glibc2.2.5-python2.3 (20040413)

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Postby Michel » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:21 am

Ok, the problem does not seem to be related with the version of Python that is installed.
The backtraces provided in this thread are very helpful! Even though I can't reproduce the problem on my own system, we now have a good clue of the origin of the problem.
As you may or may not know, Blender 2.33 will contain a new Python module: Mathutils. Something is not correct in this new module which makes some Linux machines crash. As soon as we've figured out what the exact problem is, I will post new binaries here.

Thank you all for the very useful feedback!

With regards,
Michel
You can have one of two things: Progress or Progress Reports.

raphael

Postby raphael » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:56 am

Hello JesterKIng,

As i asked Michel in the beginning of the thread, what is the matter i have py 2.2 or 2.3 on my system ? Blender do not need python to run ?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:51 pm

AFAIK a full python install is needed for using scripts that use other modules than builtin modules. Since Blender is moving towards a newer Python version which is incompatible with older Python versions, you'll be needing a newer Python install to be able to run the complex scripts.

/jesterKing.

PS. anybody correct me if I have this wrong.

Erufailon

Postby Erufailon » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Something is not correct in this new module which makes some Linux machines crash. As soon as we've figured out what the exact problem is, I will post new binaries here.

Well, I'm doing cvs checkouts every day, and building a new blender every morning on a debian sid with python 2.3.3 installed, and they work just fine (for me). There was one day when it constantly gave me a segmentation fault, but by the next morning it was gone :D I'm only building dynamic though because that's what I need. O, and i use scons.
However it should be noted that I always test a few game demos (since those gave me segfaults before, not just blender), BUT I don't test any other python scripts, ao maybe that's why it's working for me :)

Anyhow, I grew curious again, so here is a dynamic build of today's (19/4/2004) cvs, works fine for me, international, openal, sumo, game engine, player (?), plugin.
http://web.axelero.hu/ceze1/blender.tar.gz

BTW, why is 3 the maximum energy setting for ambocc? It was way better when it could go higher.

OTO

Postby OTO » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:40 pm

Hello Erufailon

Thank you for the build
It seems to work quite well
I've tested some old games with plenty of logicbricks and they've worked

Mandrake 10 Community with Python 2.3.3
Bye

raphael

Postby raphael » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:53 am

Hello,

This built works fine on my system.