Locking bones feature request

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bob_dog

Locking bones feature request

Postby bob_dog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:54 pm

I can't code, so I'm humbly putting this request to the coding comunity to which we all owe so much:

I would love to see a feature that would allow you to lock a bones rotation in the x,y,z axis or any combination. This way you could make a ball joint, hinge joint, or a twist joint. It would also give you more control over IK solver behavior.

Perhaps it could be added to the selection of possible constraints pulldown.

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:18 am

the locked track constraint can be used to do this

rather than the user animating the roation of the bone directly, they instead move another bone which the bone has a locked track constraint to

a locked track constraint will only rotate the bone around one axis...

bob_dog

Postby bob_dog » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:52 pm

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about that one.

It works well for a rotational movement, but the problem of trying to easily constrain a bone to a "twisting" motion about it's y-axis remains.

solmax

Re: Locking bones feature request

Postby solmax » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:01 pm

bob_dog wrote:I can't code, so I'm humbly putting this request to the coding comunity to which we all owe so much:

I would love to see a feature that would allow you to lock a bones rotation in the x,y,z axis or any combination. This way you could make a ball joint, hinge joint, or a twist joint. It would also give you more control over IK solver behavior.

Perhaps it could be added to the selection of possible constraints pulldown.

agree, i've made such proposals already.. without success ;) but i hope that in the future this will be implemented. i think this could also speed up iK-calculations, since the possible rotation axes are reduced.

best thing would be to see possible for every object type (useful for mechanical rigs)

marin

Return to “Animation”