Particles?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

compcor85

Particles?

Postby compcor85 » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:53 am

How do you do particles in GameBlender? Also, how do you create copies of objects, like a missle for instance?
thanks

OTO

Postby OTO » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:48 am

Hello compcor85
Particles don't work in the game engine
You can fake them with the Add Object actuator with (ex:a textured plane)
The same to the Missile
Or use Animated Textures
António

gorgan_almighty

Postby gorgan_almighty » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:57 am

It would be nice to get a basic particle system working in the game engine, say one that uses meshes instead of textures to represent the particles. 8)

OTO

Postby OTO » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:26 pm

Maybe I don't well explain ?
Blender engine uses meshes with or without textures to fake particules
That can be very "heavy" in fps.
António

Saluk

Postby Saluk » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:01 am

With some nice python, you can fake quite good particle systems. Unfortunately, due to blender's seeming object limit, even if you're just using planes as the particles (1 polygon each) the framerate takes a major hit if you have too many of them. Go to my old site: http://mysite.iptic.com/spinhead/downloads.html and download the particles. It's not the greatest, but it shows you what's possible.

gorgan_almighty

Postby gorgan_almighty » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:53 pm

ok then what would really be useful in blender is a render option that would automatically create animated uv game textures from any rendered output you produce. That would allow you to create particle effects in the render engine as usual and be able to instantly use them in the game engine, without having to spend hours manually creating the animated game textures in photoshop or whatever! :D

ofcourse youd have to limit yourself to a low frame count and a low resolution (multiple of 64 remember) but it would save hours of tedious work.

8)

ben999995

Postby ben999995 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:35 am

there was a particle script a while back before bleder went out of business. Don't know the website though. It did lower the fps A LOT

dreamerv3

Postby dreamerv3 » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:48 pm

Blender needs a total overhual of the gameengine and the creator render pipeline to unify the two.

Particles and all other tools should just work in blender. I think the renderengine and some off the app logic itself could be extracted from the blender tree and used to release games that run by themselves, like normal commercial games do, in fact they could be seold commercial binaries but have the source available for download. I think 99 percent of the users would buy the ready to use game and the hackers and gpl coders would use the source which is what they want anyway.

Particles will probably work very well in blender 3.

yamyam

Postby yamyam » Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:41 am

http://www.yo.rim.or.jp/~yamyam/download/index.html
hanabi.zip.

Have fun with low FPS... :(

Saluk

Postby Saluk » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:04 am

Yes, this low fps is caused by the major slowness blender induces with too many objects. One of the big problems with the game engine. This is why, in my particle system in soldier down, I made each particle have 5-6 different parts, so it was ONE object, but it LOOKED like it had several different particles to it. So I could have only 4 or 5 objects and it would look like 30 particles:)

Ah, the beauty of FAKING things:)

beatabix

Postby beatabix » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:39 pm

yamyam: is that file name a reference to kitano-san?

BEAT

yamyam

Postby yamyam » Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:48 am

Sorry for slow my reply.

beatabix wrote:yamyam: is that file name a reference to kitano-san?

kitano... :idea: Takeshi Kitano?

Hanabi means "Fire work". I think that he want to talk "life is like a firework" via that movie... :)

ineedanewbike

Postby ineedanewbike » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:45 pm

yes, the game engine can be quite frustrating when it comes the the number of objects in a scene... it slows down soooooooo much.

BUT, there is a great way to create particles will very very VERY little slowdown..... well compared to the current way of faking particles

heres and example
http://www.geocities.com/ineedanewbike/uzis.jpg
samething here

beleive it or not.... this game im working on runs very well, (no AI in it yet)

the particles are done by armatures
i created an armature with 7 bones and a mesh with 7 polygons
grouped vertexes with armatures..blah blah.. until the armatures were ready to roll
create an animation, bones start close together and small, then the spread apart and get larger.

when the bullet hits a wall. it addes the armature and the mesh
so really im adding 2 objects for every 7 particles.... it works really good
you guys should try it and see for your self... you could also use this trick to create shattereing windows

i hope this helped u create fake particles without the slowdown... i havent tryed to make snow yet.... its something ill look into

yamyam

Postby yamyam » Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:46 am

My particle demo aims to improvement of the GameEngine. If I make sparks, explosions and other particle like effect, I use the Halo or billboard texture or other way. but when we want to make fire works with GameEngine, this is only way...the fire work needs many particles and randomly.

And, when I make this demo, many people hope to get bussines chances to web3D technologies.
The shockwave3D has the particle effect and that works fast. But the Web plug-in is...(Ok, I know that S3D needs much money. ;) )

Now, we got the Opensource. We got chance of improvement of the GameEngine. I hope to get the better the GameEngine than old one.

Thank you for read my opinion.

Return to “Interactive 3d”