Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon What happened to the NURBANA implementation?

bfvietnam

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:47 pm
theeth wrote:
bfvietnam wrote:
Evidently Twingy is the Author, I did a search on google..

The one who did the 3D models on that page ( http://www.3drender.com/nurbana/ ) is Jeremy Birn (tech director at Pixar), not Justin here (unless he has a dual personnality Wink ).

Martin

Did I say anything about that? Sometimes your posts sound as stupid as your contrarian disposition.

bfvietnam

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:08 pm
mjordan wrote:

Yes, we all now NURBS tools in Blender are nothing more than a toy.
And, as far as I know, the NURBANA integration is one of the most wanted feature for Blender by users. Personally speaking, I can't wait to see it nicely integrated in the bf tree.

Well Ton told me a ways back that it was just something in the middle of the road for the neogeo artists.. It was a distraction, in the late 90s to use NURBS, and many were trying to model stuff like Pixar, when pixar was using subdivision surfaces.. NURBS really only serve as a precise surface type that is easy to model, but useful only as a modelling tool than as the end result.. That's what I use them for in blender..

Quote:

I have never seen Nurbana in action, but I think that having it into Blender allow Blender to be classified as a NURBS modeler, among other things, so we can start compare it with Rhino
LOL

Well Rhino is a Alias rip-off.. Its probably something more these days,
but that's how it started out, even stole the Alias interface. I couldn't stand it because the Vertices were 9x9 and it used a more othorgraphic perspective, turntable navigation, modal interface (like alias). While some users can get around that, I could never get use to it.. I prefer Blender, its quicker.. As for being called a NURBS modeller, I don't know what significance that has anymore.. But I would like some better surface primtives.. Like a sphere that is made up of 10x10 isoparms and not
7x5 isoparms made into a cube with cv wieghts set dispurportionate values like 1/sqrt(3) or such.

Its more simple than implementing a new NURBS implementation, to satisfy me.. Frankly I don't think Ton even touches the code anymore, because so few users even understand how to use the surface types in blender. If you have had to make something like a teapot, barstool, lathed colums, "art nouveau" style buildings, you would see the value of using NURBS surfaces in blender. But NURBS in blender are not even NURBS, but RBS. Calling them NURBS makes it easier to identify.. Maybe we can call them BLURBS or something, like how Metanurbs was Lightwave's Subdivision Surfaces..

But I use them only for modelling, not often for anything else.. But when I use them for modelling, I often have to manipulate them a bit before I can get a useable primitive like a sphere or a cylinder, or even a flat plane.

theeth

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:59 pm
bfvietnam wrote:
theeth wrote:
bfvietnam wrote:

The one who did the 3D models on that page ( http://www.3drender.com/nurbana/ ) is Jeremy Birn (tech director at Pixar), not Justin here (unless he has a dual personnality Wink ).

Martin

Did I say anything about that? Sometimes your posts sound as stupid as your contrarian disposition.

Oyster asked if Twingy was the author of the models on this website http://www.3drender.com/nurbana
oyster wrote:
And are this nurbana models made in YOUR nurbana? If not, where can I find a copy of screen snap of your nurbana?

And you answered:
bfvietnam wrote:

Which is very much wrong, so my reply was far from stupid, correcting your obvious mistake as to who was the author of those models.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I have better things to do than teaching you how to read.

Martin

DYeater

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:43 pm
ROFL Laughing

That's telling him ...

ysvry

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:25 pm
I want some better nurbs tools too , and what ive seen from nurbana looks great so just put it in.

Delta

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:36 am
Quote:
I want some better nurbs tools too , and what ive seen from nurbana looks great so just put it in.

MUCH easier said than done...

if it were just as easy as "just putting it in", im sure that NURBANA would have been implemented very soon after the author donated the sources to the BF

Regards,
~Delta

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: