Hummm just ran into this one.... what do you all think?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

IngieBee

Hummm just ran into this one.... what do you all think?

Postby IngieBee » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:04 am

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/decembe ... ondlifepc/

Do you think we can compete? Next Gen Blender?

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:47 am

Well, it seems everyone is really interested in this, LOL. I actually joined their beta testing. It's really very cool. Amazing control is given to people in-world. Anyway, in case anyone else is interested in beta testing, you need a dsl or better connection, though. Just go to http://www.secondlife.com.

IngieBee

Postby IngieBee » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:50 am

Well, it seems everyone is really interested in this, LOL. I actually joined their beta testing. It's really very cool. Amazing control is given to people in-world. Anyway, in case anyone else is interested in beta testing, you need a dsl or better connection, though. Just go to http://www.secondlife.com.

shursey

Postby shursey » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:08 am

Wow! That sounds really neat. I wish I had broadband :cry: .

ton
Site Admin

Postby ton » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:55 pm

Interesting... interesting...

Coincidences: their CEO is a mr. Rosedale!
And their logo is the hand-eye, used for the Blender logo as well.

Interesting... :)

JWalton

Re: Hummm just ran into this one.... what do you all think?

Postby JWalton » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:45 pm

IngieBee wrote:http://www.gamespy.com/previews/december02/secondlifepc/

Do you think we can compete? Next Gen Blender?

this is a very cool idea, back in the 2.0 days there were thoughts of developing a synthesis of chat/gameplay/gamecreation, and what kind of over-arching paradigm would support all three. maybe time to consider this again? :)
some of the original ideas came from 'enders game'. good reading!

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:49 pm

I hadn't noticed their logo, LOL, you are right! Except I always thought of Blender's logo as only an eye, with lashes, LOL???? I may be saying too much, but I think you all would be interested. They have a scripting system, so that you can build your own programs in-world. It's really awsome! They're so far ahead, though, that I don't know how we could compete, except to hope to make something for free.... but the problem there would be the upkeep of all the servers... who's gonna do that?

Other than that, well, the closest thing is NextGenerationBlender

Of course, there is another German company, they have something called rooms/doors, and in their system, everyone's computer, when logged on, is part of the server system. When you host people at "your house", you are basicly letting them into your computer. There are supposed to be safety features there??? It's another interesting approch.

What the heck, it'll take a few years, but maybe we can make a system that takes all the best elements available:

1. Private computers used as servers for the system

2. Ability to make models in any program and import them into the "worlds" (as in Active Worlds")

3. Ability to build real-time in-world as in this Second Life

4. and finally, ability to script abilities/physics/forces/ anything within the "worlds"

But I gotta tell ya, when this Second life goes on line, I'm gonna be there, it's really cool and it's now.

Love Ingie

IngieBee

Postby IngieBee » Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:52 pm

I hadn't noticed their logo, LOL, you are right! (I did notice the name :P ) Except I always thought of Blender's logo as only an eye, with lashes, LOL???? I may be saying too much, but I think you all would be interested. They have a scripting system, so that you can build your own programs in-world. It's really awesome! They're so far ahead, though, that I don't know how we could compete, except to hope to make something for free.... but the problem there would be the upkeep of all the servers... who's gonna do that?

Other than that, well, the closest thing is NextGenerationBlender

Of course, there is another German company, they have something called rooms/doors, and in their system, everyone's computer, when logged on, is part of the server system. When you host people at "your house", you are basically letting them into your computer. There are supposed to be safety features there??? It's another interesting approach.

What the heck, it'll take a few years, but maybe we can make a system that takes all the best elements available:

1. Private computers used as servers for the system

2. Ability to make models in any program and import them into the "worlds" (as in Active Worlds")

3. Ability to build real-time in-world as in this Second Life

4. and finally, ability to script abilities/physics/forces/ anything within the "worlds"

But I gotta tell ya, when this Second life goes on line, I'm gonna be there, it's really cool and it's now.

Love Ingie

Return to “Interactive 3d”