Feature Request:Transform bones rest matrix to pose matrix

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

onip

Feature Request:Transform bones rest matrix to pose matrix

Postby onip » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:04 am

I,tryng to make some medium advanced setup for characters I encountered a problem,not so easy to solve.If I contraint the location or rotation of a bone(with an ik contraint or a follow path constraint for example) the matrix of the bone changes from the original position and orientation derived from the edit mode(rest pose).In others programs this is not a problem because the skinning is done AFTER the contraining operations,we create the bones,rig them and after we skin the bones.In blender the bones are skinned always before because the rest pose is separated from the animation pose(this sometimes is an advantage but in this case it's not).
I propose to make a function in the bone panel that can transform the bones from the rest pose to the animation rigged pose(creating a new rest pose),because make this by hand is not an option,is to slow and difficult(we need to snap to and from several times and we must even calculate the roll,not alway easy).
With the current animation system is allready possible to do,for example, an Ikspline rig(for spine or facial setup, through the use of path constraints)but without a solution to this problem it's a bit depressing.
Maybe it's possible to do it from python(i'm not sure but not easy).
In my opinion an option in the interface could be VERY useful.

Sorry for my bad english.
Bye
pino
Last edited by onip on Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

pildanovak

Postby pildanovak » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:37 pm

I was just now coming here to request the same of a little different reason :)

My problem is this: sometimes, when you make a model and rig it, you recognize that the angles between bones are not optimal for the ik solutions - the restpose angles are taken and used, sometimes causing bending in wrong direction. Because of it would be useful to define a new restposition(or "optimal ik angles position"). I think this is quite clear for anybody who se up a ik rig...

onip

Postby onip » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:50 am

Hi pildanovak,I hope someone look at this because is a truly important thing(anyone who tries to make a decent rig encounter this kind of problems).

Return to “Animation”