Spaceball

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Spaceball

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:24 pm

Hi!
I would really like to have support for a Spaceball in blender. The problem I have come to so far in my own (tiny) OpenGL/glut based apps is that on platforms like Solaris (which I'm using) the Driver for the Spaceball is based on X Client Messages and not XInput (as in IRIX), so there is no built-in support in glut for that device. :cry:
Maybe someone has an idea? If the interfacing with the driver works, the rest should not really be a problem... (BTW: the XCM Driver is also available for Linux/i386).

Ulli
(woelfel@informatik.mu-luebeck.de)

voidptr

Ouch!

Postby voidptr » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:20 pm

Yeah that would be cool. I assume your talking about http://www.alsos.com/Products/Devices/SpaceBall.html? But at ~$600 USD each it may be hard to find a developer with one that is willing to try.

I would like to but ... $600 ouch. Of course new input methods would be helpful. Maybe a central input method should be thought about for the plugin system?

Maybe I can try with my Logitech Cyberman first :)

voidptr

Re: Ouch!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:37 pm

voidptr wrote:I would like to but ... $600 ouch.

you can pick these up for 30-100 USD on ebay, there is almost a continuous supply of them.

knoxer

Postby knoxer » Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:01 pm

It looks like a lot of these products are made by a division of LogiTech. You can browse all their products here: http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/

I use the SpaceMouse Plus at work, and I think it's awesome (the website above was written on the bottom of it). It would be great to have support of all of these types of products.

Jason

JWalton

Postby JWalton » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:25 am

Return to “Interactive 3d”