Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender on Siggraph tradeshow

ton

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:21 pm
Thanks to the bundling of organization power and sponsoring we can present ourselves on a large "Open Source Pavillion" this year.

The Blender Foundation, the GNOME Foundation (including GIMP) and the Uni-verse consortium have partnered together to organize a presentation of free and open source software for the entire Computer Graphics creation pipeline.

Thanks to a big discount granted by the Siggraph Committee, and a substantial (but anonymous still) donation we can put ourselves on a giant 20x30 island booth amidst companies like Disney, Electronic Arts and Boxx, in the main aisle of the trade show... just a couple of booths away from Lightwave, Maya and 3DStudio. Will be exciting!

Of course we'll use Elephants Dream as an eye-catcher, but also will present other compelling Blender art and animation samples to show the audience the state-of-the-art of open source 3D creation.

Our "Open Source Pavillion" will be roughly divided in 2 parts. One half is for the three partners, for a permanent showcase and demonstration of the products. The other half is a common area, with a large projection screen which we share for public tutorials, but also with plenty of computers to use freely. It has to become a cosy hangout for everyone!

We don't want to limit our presentation to only the three organizing partners, also other open source CG projects are very welcome to present on the booth. For example Inkscape and Aqsis have been contacted already. My target is to have at least for them (together) a designated 'demo pod' as well.

With less than 2 months to go, we've already started a lot of preparations, but still could use some help and/or additional sponsorship. Most urgent to solve now is:

Booth construction
We need an "approved" (yes, USA Unions...) contractor who can construct us a simple but efficient booth. (We can use the default Siggraph contracter too.)

AV rental
A good deal with a company for rental of large (plasma) screens, video (back) projection and audio system.

Computers
We are looking for a sponsor who can borrow us (Linux of course) computers + flatscreens. Some companies have been contacted already.

DVD hand-out
Then we would love to have free handouts... like a DVD-ROM with a complete collection of all open source CG tools, binaries ready to install and run, for each platform. It can also have documentation, video tutorials, and extras like artwork and movies. For this I seek both a sponsor and someone who'd like to produce it.

Volunteers
Then we'll need plenty of volunteers;

- people who can help setting up the systems (install linux, the tools) and a network
- artists who would like to demo Blender (one to one) on our permanent demonstration 'pod'.
- artists with sufficient guts to demo Blender on the giant screen, and talk about it even... doing public tutorials.
- and people who like to be around for general services... like getting bottles of water, do urgent shopping (powerstrips, cables), get sandwiches for people, and so on.

These volunteers can all get an official "Exhibitor Badge", which grants Siggraph access close to "Conference Select" level.

Free admission tickets!
And that's not all... we'll get in total 150 free admission tickets for the tradeshow. How to apply for that (and probably will be first come first served) will be announced later.

If you have feedback or ideas, you can use this forum to discuss with us. Volunteers can post that here too, or just email me personally.

This is definitely going to be big fun! And not only that, I really look forward to doing this together with other open source projects.

http://www.siggraph.org/s2006/
Tradeshow: 1-3 August. Boston Convention Center.

Laterz,

-Ton-

(Note; there's also Blender BoF day on Siggraph, sunday July 30th. Schedule for that is TBA still)

Last edited by ton on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

BgDM

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:48 pm
Congrats Ton! Sounds like a great opportunity to promote open source applications.

Too bad I can't make it, or I would volunteer right now to do some demos or anything.

Good luck with it.

BgDM

Pablosbrain

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:50 pm
I'm looking forward to it! This will be my first time attending siggraph. I plan to drop by the booth for sure! Already have a full schedule of classes and sessions I want to attend. But I think I'll also be there for a day or so after those end. Have to consult my calendar later on that.

scourage

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:08 pm
Ton,

I will be in Boston visiting my company headquarters for a conference a few days before Siggraph. I should be able to stay as a volunteer for the Blender booth all 3 days. If you would like to use me as a volunteer, shoot me an email to discuss how I can best help.

Cheers,

Bob

hva

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 am
do you already have a stand design?

Oso

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:27 pm
The company I work for is a few blocks away from the Convention Center. I'll volunteer to set up systems and install tools.

BTW, I'm that crazy American that travelled to Amsterdam for the Elephants Dream Premiere. E-mail me if there's anything other way I can help.

joeri

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:14 pm
Great Oso!

he Ton, I can create a dvd design if you want.
And I could collect assets.
But it might be handy if there was somebody in the US that could organize the reproduction of the dvd(rom) so that they don't need to ship to the US.

ton

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 pm
Something that always worked great on tradeshows was using Python to run a cycle of demo files.

Load this zip: (3 MB)
http://download.blender.org/demo/test/demoloop241.zip

Best is to use latest release, Blender 2.41.

Automatic running Python Scripts are by default disabled in releases, this for obvious security reasons. So, when you startup Blender you have to press the "Enable Script Links" button each time, this is in the Script Buttons (icon to the left of Material Buttons).

Then just load one of the demoloop files and watch it go!

For our upcoming Siggraph show I'd like an updated loop, or even better; a couple of nice artistic shows even. They're great fun to watch, and something the other apps don't have really. Of course I'll ask the Orange team to make one too.

Latest news; HP is going to show Blender on their booth too, next to Maya, 3DS and Lightwave, with equal exposure as the other 3D apps.
HP will also get a demoloop (or a couple), so... hope our artists get inspired now to help us with it!

ton

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:20 pm
The construction and furniture for booths is typically insane expensive... so we really have to find ways to do it for minimal budget.

What I hope we can get is a 'box truss' ceiling, with giant prints and black fabric sheets as walls to separate it.

Here's the first sketches for our booth concept.

http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth1.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth2.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth3.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth4.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth5.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth6.jpg
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth7.jpg (1 unit = 1 meter)

(There will be about 10 computer systems on the tables, not in these pictures).

View '1' and '2' are from the main aisles, with the main entrance in your back.

Design for on the large black sheets has to be done, will also get the three names/logos of the main partners.
I like it to have three large black walls (to emphasise our names and open source), and two giant Elephant Dreams prints (these images are well known now).

The smaller area, has two demo tables which are 160 cm wide, sufficient to hold 2 computers. The small 'walls' that separate the tables will have to be filled in with a cool print by each partner themselves (Blender, Gnome, Verse, and others). Here we do the permanent one-to-one demos.

The main area is our "hangout", the bar-tables can have free systems for people to use. On the projection screen we do public demos and show video/promo clips.

How the tables/bar will look like I don't know yet... we will have to use stock. I am hunting for quotes now.

The ceiling will be attached with wires, so the pillars can become less sturdy. It should be sufficient strong to have the plasma screen attached. This screen will show a continuous loop of promo videos.

BTW: here's the .blend file if you like to toy around with this concept:
http://www.blender.org/bf/sigbooth2.blend

-Ton-

ton

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:40 pm
Contacting oso, scourage, joeri personally now... Smile

badcheese

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:06 pm
I will be there too. I can work as a demo artist.

See you all there!

ysvry

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:24 am
Congrats, and good luck.

Oso

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 pm
joeri wrote:

But it might be handy if there was somebody in the US that could organize the reproduction of the dvd(rom) so that they don't need to ship to the US.

Joeri,

How many DVDs you think will be needed?

Also, are you thinking of just reproducing the DVD itself, or are we also talking about cover art (label) and possibly jewel case artwork as well?

ton

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:45 pm
Hi Oso,

Arranging duplication in Boston will go fine. There's several people there (and who live there) to oversee it even.
Further I'll go over there 4 days before siggraph for last minute disaster work!

It is still uncertain if there's budget for it even... have to wait for several quotes.

-Ton-

Quartz

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:51 pm
Greetings Ton,

I will be attending this year on a full conference ticket. I would like to volunteer where and when I can. I can even volunteer for "before and after" hours events as well.

I can assist in just about anything rangeing from basic assistance and greetings person to beginner level demoing.

Let me know where I can assist.

-Will (Quartz)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: