Duplicate models...not a bug, but a needed feature.

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

A2597

Duplicate models...not a bug, but a needed feature.

Postby A2597 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:47 pm

OK, this is a problem I have alot, as well as a question I am asked about alot.

Currently, when you duplicate an object all keyframes are duplitated with it.

now, this is FINE when the keyframes are a PART of the object. (Like a rotating radar dish) but HORRIBLE when you want many of the same object in a scene. it becomes VERY hard to remove the keyframes from an object.

when I'd like to see done is a "Lock keyframes to model" so that the keyframes for something like a radar dish are kept, and a new duplicate window, so when you press Shift+D is ask is you want to duplicate the keyframes, or lose them.

be VERY helpful at times.
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

matt_e

Re: Duplicate models...not a bug, but a needed feature.

Postby matt_e » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:47 pm

That may not be a bad idea, having a menu where you can choose exactly what gets duplicated when you actually duplicate it. There are the preferences in infobuttons like DupliMesh, Armature, .. Ipo, etc. which are supposed to control exactly what gets duplicated on a global level, but I jus trean a test of it in Blender 2.26 and switching the Ipo button on and off didn't do anything. Maybe thsis is just worded badly and it really means for Dupliverts? I have no idea.. Looks like a bug though.

In any case, until something is done, a workaround is to duplicate the object, go to Ipowindow and delete the link to the Ipo datablock using the [X] button. That will remove any keyframe data from that object.

A2597 wrote:OK, this is a problem I have alot, as well as a question I am asked about alot.

Currently, when you duplicate an object all keyframes are duplitated with it.

now, this is FINE when the keyframes are a PART of the object. (Like a rotating radar dish) but HORRIBLE when you want many of the same object in a scene. it becomes VERY hard to remove the keyframes from an object.

when I'd like to see done is a "Lock keyframes to model" so that the keyframes for something like a radar dish are kept, and a new duplicate window, so when you press Shift+D is ask is you want to duplicate the keyframes, or lose them.

be VERY helpful at times.

Return to “Interface & Tools”