Crash Reports? Rendering "bug" found!

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bischofftep

Crash Reports? Rendering "bug" found!

Postby Bischofftep » Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:02 am

Hello, all:

Experiencing some very frustrating crash issues for the first time with Blender, and I'm not sure where to address the problem or if anyone really will be able to do anything about it. :-)

Blender 2.26 on Mac OS X 10.2.4.
Rendering a scene with 16,000 vertexes and about 17,000 faces.

Adding a texture to the main model, a subsurf with subdivision 2, causes a crash with the following message in the crash log:
Exception: EXC_BAD ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000007

I'm guessing Blender is playing outside its sandbox, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Any hints or thoughts on getting this fixed? This is the first time I've hit a limitation with the program, and I'm suddenly afraid it isn't capable of what I have in mind!

Thanks,

-Bischofftep
Last edited by Bischofftep on Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bischofftep

More Info

Postby Bischofftep » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:27 pm

More information on this:

Trying to simplify the mesh, I tried the "decimator" and the first thing it wanted to do was "remove UV textures and vertex colors." I okayed this, but it couldn't decimate because it wasn't a "manifold mesh."

That being said... I tried another test render with NO OTHER CHANGES just adding my textures back in...

...and it worked fine.

SO...

It appears that the crash was related to my stumbling attempts to do UV texturing. Probably a reference to a texture map that didn't exist, got deleted, wasn't completed, etc. caused the crash.

Hope this helps somebody!

-Bischofftep

Return to “Rendering”