Using an already existing game engine inside blender

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bandoler

Using an already existing game engine inside blender

Postby Bandoler » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:49 pm

Hello,

I think it has asked alrealdy but i can't find the post. Blender with its game engine is a great concept. But (there's always a "but" after such positive sentences) its not viable to keep both the modelling-rendering suite and the engine to a very competitive, in my honest opinion. At least, it has been proved that there isn't enough people in this game engine subcommunity to achieve this.

But there are very good ang open game engines. I'm not talking about one of the hundreds of them. I'm talking about one of he two or three that are really great industry-level projects, like NeoEngine for example.

After all, In the game engine there's a conversion step from the common blender scene data to the game engine scene before actually running the game. Wouldn't it make sense to convert this data to the one specific for an existing game engine and use it?

I think that there are license problems, but i hope that licenses will always be kept in a second plane, and development in the first.

Only some thought's which probably aren't enough ellaborated.

(Bandoler)

erwin

Postby erwin » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:00 pm

Hooking up an existing game engine is a good idea, and it is also very doable.

When we started development of the blender gameengine (around march 2000), we have been looking in using an existing opensource gameengine.

We succesfully integrated the crystal space gameengine, and also met the founder (Jorrit Tybergein). Also we evaluated the nebula device.

My main concern with crystal space at that time was that is was mostly a graphics engine, and it didn't really provide enough 'physics' and gamelogic. Our main task was creating a gameengine for 'artists', so an easy to use gamelogic system, and automatically working collision and physics was the biggest concern, not the graphics.

There is one entrypoint to start the gameengine, and the dataconversion is also centralized (however very messy), see the ketsji blenderhook lib, especially blenderdataconversion.cpp if I remember correctly.

regards,
Erwin Coumans

erwin

Postby erwin » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:00 pm

Hooking up an existing game engine is a good idea, and it is also very doable.

When we started development of the blender gameengine (around march 2000), we have been looking in using an existing opensource gameengine.

We succesfully integrated the crystal space gameengine, and also met the founder (Jorrit Tybergein). Also we evaluated the nebula device.

My main concern with crystal space at that time was that is was mostly a graphics engine, and it didn't really provide enough 'physics' and gamelogic. Our main task was creating a gameengine for 'artists', so an easy to use gamelogic system, and automatically working collision and physics was the biggest concern, not the graphics.

There is one entrypoint to start the gameengine, and the dataconversion is also centralized (however very messy), see the ketsji blenderhook lib, especially blenderdataconversion.cpp if I remember correctly.

regards,
Erwin Coumans

Panther

F.A.O : Erwin...

Postby Panther » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:36 am

Hi Erwin,

Do you still have a compiled ( WIN32 ) version of the GameEngine that incorporates CrystalSpace ???

If so, I would be very interested in seeing it - If possible :)

Also...

One of your two reasons for not using CrystalSpace was due to its lack of physics support, but couldn't ODE be used in this instance ???

Many thanks in advance for your time and effort !!!

Return to “Interactive 3d”