Blender a main program

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bab

Blender a main program

Postby Bab » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:15 pm

Hello, for the next release it is possible to make a main Blender program with all modeler and animator function without the game engine, the sequencer and the script and make all this function in external library which can be downloaded separately.
Advantages :
- When the main program is stable, developpers can stop the progress and make only the library more fonctionnel
- User have just download the stable version one time and after download only the function he wants
- Perhaps without all function, Blender is faster

I want to know what you thing about this and if it's possible.

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:57 pm

I think it would be more trouble that it is worth.

Blender is pretty fast, and small as it is.
(3fps doesn't matter much when changes in your system settings can get you 20 more)

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:13 pm

But... but... but... Blender IS microscopic already as it is! And blazingly fast too! Very few applications have such a small footprint, and definately none of the 3D apps come even close... Besides, I hate having stuff divided into separate apps, like the Modeler/Scene split in LightWave for instance. It's really annoying. I vote no. :D

¦ÞQuailMan

Postby ¦ÞQuailMan » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:05 pm

Jamesk wrote:But... but... but... Blender IS microscopic already as it is! And blazingly fast too! Very few applications have such a small footprint, and definately none of the 3D apps come even close... Besides, I hate having stuff divided into separate apps, like the Modeler/Scene split in LightWave for instance. It's really annoying. I vote no. :D

I agree completely, tally me in the 'no' column.

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:54 pm

No vote here too...

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:26 am

no too...

Bab

Postby Bab » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:42 am

I think you don't understand what I say.
Imagine you have Blender modelor and render. When the program starts, He looks plugins in his directory to load automaticaly in the application. The principe is the same that the Gimp, there is the program and plugins (plugins to import, export, new tool, ...). The big advantage is developper doesn't need to modify the original source to make new tools. He makes only a new plugins. But this is just an opinion.

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:24 pm

Your calling an entire game engine a plugin... which it is much more than any plugin filter or whatever for gimp.

Bab

Postby Bab » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:59 pm

In Blender there is texture and sequence plugins why not tools, import-export or anything else which support plugins.

Pablosbrain

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:49 pm

The Game Engine itself is part of the whole application.. .just like... as you mentioned.. the sequence editor.. there are plugins for the sequence editor but the sequence editor is not a plugin itself. In the same way the Game engine is not a plugin itself but could possibly support plugins in the future to enhance its toolset. There are also many benefits to having it integrated as to having it extrapolated out to various modules. I still vote to keep it integrated.

Return to “Interface & Tools”