Bunny ISO? (Broken Link)

Discussions and feedback around the Open Projects such as Orange (Elephants Dream), Peach (Big Buck Bunny), Apricot (Yo Frankie!)...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Morbius

Bunny ISO? (Broken Link)

Postby Morbius » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I tried to download the Bunny (peach) ISO file but the link on archive.org (to the ISO file) seems to be broken.

Is there a torrent floating around?

Anyone have any info on this?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Postby jesterKing » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:14 am

See the download section of http://www.bigbuckbunny.org .

Torrents are great. I've shared all the versions I've downloaded for a combined total of over 50 already :D And still sharing!

/Nathan

J.B. Nicholson-Owens

Re: Bunny ISO? (Broken Link)

Postby J.B. Nicholson-Owens » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:28 am

Morbius wrote:I tried to download the Bunny (peach) ISO file but the link on archive.org (to the ISO file) seems to be broken.

Could you be more specific about what "seems to be broken"? The links:

appear to be working well. Perhaps you are using downloading software which is inadequate to the task of downloading large files, can't handle redirection, or can't handle continuing an interrupted download. If that's the case, you should get better software. Specific suggestions of better software are posted on the Big Buck Bunny download archive.org page. I'm sure you can find them with your favorite search engine.

Morbius wrote:Is there a torrent floating around?

BitTorrents can vanish when people lose interest in sharing the files and they are only as fast as the sum of the visible uploaders. BitTorrent also requires special software which doesn't come with most people's web browsers or operating systems. BitTorrent is also exceptionally slow when compared to a multiple-connection HTTP/FTP-based downloader. BitTorrent is clever and can work well for a short time when high-bandwidth uploaders participate. But BitTorrent is simply no substitute for a long-term HTTP or FTP-based archive for something one wants to be available in the long run. I imagine this is why archive.org has not added BitTorrent as an alternative means of downloading anything from their archive.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: Bunny ISO? (Broken Link)

Postby jesterKing » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:26 am

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:BitTorrents can vanish when people lose interest in sharing the files and they are only as fast as the sum of the visible uploaders. BitTorrent also requires special software which doesn't come with most people's web browsers or operating systems. BitTorrent is also exceptionally slow when compared to a multiple-connection HTTP/FTP-based downloader. BitTorrent is clever and can work well for a short time when high-bandwidth uploaders participate. But BitTorrent is simply no substitute for a long-term HTTP or FTP-based archive for something one wants to be available in the long run. I imagine this is why archive.org has not added BitTorrent as an alternative means of downloading anything from their archive.

That's true for cases where there are no more seeders. If archive.org put up .torrents, they should seed as well - just as they need to provide the download over HTTP and FTP. This ensures always available torrents. We can turn the tables as well: services sometimes change links, "misplacing" links to files that thus get lost. Services even just remove links to files they think are no longer of any importance. BitTorrent, HTTP or FTP - as a hoster just host and you will have never the problem of vanishing files.

The 'special' software needed is not a problem, download managers are as special as ie. the bittorrent official client: they need to be downloaded seperately from browsers.

/Nathan

Return to “Blender Open Projects”