Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon How do I create UV Map on an object

doodle_fish

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:33 pm
I'm a noob coming from a graphic design background. I've created a object by importing a .ai file into blender and converting it to a mesh and extruding it. The object is a representation of a pop-up display (the sort of thing you find outside supermarkets with people trying to sell you insurance for your pet armadillo etc). From a top view it has a concave centre and the ends turn back on them selves (bit like a staple). Anyway the issue is I have the artwork that would go on the display in .jpeg (I can convert this to any other file type) and was wondering how best to pull it into Blender and size the object correctly, as the artwork is a specific size. I've tried looking for other tut but they are either to overly complicated or seem to refer to an earlier version of blender. Essentially I'm just trying to map an image to a 3D object making sure the image wraps only to one side. (Told you I was a noob!) Confused

Fmurr

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:31 am
doodle_fish wrote:
I'm a noob. Essentially I'm just trying to map an image to a 3D object making sure the image wraps only to one side. (Told you I was a noob!) Confused

Hy,

Prepare your working area :
you must have two windows like in the picture.
colored steps 1,2,3.

Then , steps White and black :
Load the picture.
Edit your object with [Tab] key
Select the Face mode edition [CTRL+TAB] and choose "Faces" int he floating menu that appears.
Then select a face (with leftmouseclick) or the group of faces (with [SHIFT]+leftmouseclicks) you want the picture to be mapped to.

Do the final 4th black step.

You must have it Very Happy

doodle_fish

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have followed your instructions and was going to add a screen shot, but for the life of me can't work out how you do it on this thread. Can you let me know how to do that as it would be easier to explain with an image (I work on a Mac just for info and explanation).

Also I have worked it out another way by using the image as a non-repeating material, which works but is lengthier process than your suggestion, and that way I don't seem to be able to have two different images on identical but separate objects (but that's due to lack of knowledge, as you obviously can).

Cheers

Jump to: