Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Why don't use glib/gtk?

tristan

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:01 pm
Question I think using glib/gtk may simplify the developpment.
The new programmer have no need to learn new api.
This library is multi-platforme and is more flexible.
The work may be use to code a really need feature.

michele

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:19 pm
WoW I love glib/gtk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stony

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:42 pm
Is the gtk still buggy on windows? I love the api and being new to GUI programming it makes things very simple, but it doesn't do any good if it causes trouble on other operating systems.

ray_theray

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:53 am
Yeah, I think GTK still has some issues before practical Windows use. I run Gimp and a python application (Pytho˝ol) with GTK on Windows, and performance is hit and miss. GHOST has a few minor issues (nothing fatal) and it works equally well across platform. Plus, it's being still being improved by the same people developing Blender.

alien-xmp

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:43 pm
I'm no expert, but I think the problem with doing this is that blender is using opengl, ie widgets and everything are drawn w/ opengl.

To use gtk you would have to write a gtk wrapper around opengl so that gtk uses opengl for drawing.

This is probably a lot of hard work, but would be an interesting experiment, as then other gtk apps could use this, and would be hardware accelerated.

Kester

michele

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:25 pm
you have to rewrite the GUI code (to use gtk widgets)

there are already mechanisms to use OpenGL with gtk like: GtkGLArea (an OpenGL widget) or GtkGLExt (that provides additional GDK objects which support OpenGL rendering in GTK)

Yes it is probably a lot of hard work!!!

Jump to: