Smart Texture Filtering

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Friday13

Smart Texture Filtering

Postby Friday13 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:23 pm

Hey, i just found this website with a demo of a new better filtering technique. It would be great to see something like this in the game engine (in the future, since no hardware supports this yet)

http://www.hiend3d.com/smartflt.html

I downloaded the demo and it runs at a fairly decent speed on my old toaster :D

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:27 pm

BTW, there's also a demo of 16x full screen anti aliasing.

http://www.hiend3d.com/16xFSAA.html

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:55 pm

Current hardware does not support this texture filtering technique, but in future, more advanced versions of programmable pixel shaders could make the hardware implementation possible.

the technique does look like it has some uses, but blender doesn't use prgrammable hardware anything (as far as I know) right now.

In other words, my computer will not be doing this, with a video card that isn't very programmable (geforce2 is a little).

I would guess that that demo you refer to is doing it in software, on the cpu, which isn't really an option for blender

which would be miserable for blender (try static linked blender sometime, and tell me with a straight face that it is fast enough)

oh, I personally disagree with the title of "Smart filtering," maybe Cel Filtering would be more descriptive...

Friday13

Postby Friday13 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:17 am

That's why i said that it might be good to see it in Blender IN THE FUTURE (and that's many years away, probably...) :P

But i like the name "smart texture filtering". What a smart way to make a pixelated texture look good :P

It was just a thought/idea/plan/gibberish anyway.... :wink:

Return to “Interactive 3d”