Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Blender CVS Tuhopuu Mandrake 9.1

wriker

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:16 pm
I was able to compile the CVS on Mandrake 9.1 with little trouble. I ended up with a 29 meg binary. First time I've done this so I assume that is normal.

I followed the Red Hat tutorial.

The binary runs on any standard Mandrake 9.1 system (tested on two stock 9.1 boxes and it ran fine).

If there is anyone out there wanting it, I could put it on my site for download if that is a good thing.

If this type of post is inappropriate, please let me know. It's my first to the message boards. Thanks.

Wriker

Hos

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:14 pm
If you create a file called user-def.mk in the same
dir you run make from and add the line:

export ALL_DEPENDS=guessconf libdir frozen interndir app

then you will get a smaller binary (do 'make clean' and 'make').

See the notes in Makefile for more things you can add to user-def.mk

Chris

wriker

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:20 pm
Thanks, I will do that! Thanks a bunch for the tip!

Wriker

dcuny

Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:55 am
So what problems did you encounter, and how did you solve them? I'm running Mandrake 9.1, and can't get it to build. Sad

I followed the Red Hat instructions, and grabbed it from CVS. I then edited the Makefile and uncommented:
Code:
export NO_SOUND=true
export JUSTBLENDERDYNAMIC=true
export REDHAT_WEIRDNESS=true
and ran make. I got the following:
Code:
[david@localhost blender]$ make
make: Entering directory `/home/david/tuhopuu/blender'
chmod u+x source/tools/guess/guessconfig
chmod u+wx source/tools/guess/config.guess
mkdir -p /home/david/tuhopuu/blender/lib/
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/david/tuhopuu/blender/intern/python/freeze'
python -S -O freeze.py -d -x os -x pprint -x string -x copy -I ../modules -o /home/david/tuhopuu/blender/obj//linux-glibc2.3.1-i386/blender/bpython/frozen ../modules/VRMLmain.py
parsesetup.py:3: DeprecationWarning: the regex module is deprecated; please use the re module
  import regex
Error: needed directory /usr/lib/python2.2/config not found
Use ``freeze.py -h'' for help
make[1]: *** [importer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/david/tuhopuu/blender/intern/python/freeze'
make: *** [frozen] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/home/david/tuhopuu/blender'
I tried different combinations of the exports, make all, make clean and so forth... no luck. Sad

Since it complained /usr/lib/python2.2/config was missing, I popped into su mode and made it. I then got:
Code:
Error: needed directory /usr/include/python2.2 not found
So I made that, too. It got further that time, but erred with:
Code:
Warning: unknown modules remain: array math operator strop struct time zlib
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "freeze.py", line 461, in ?
    main()
  File "freeze.py", line 415, in main
    infp = open(config_c_in)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/lib/python2.2/config/config.c.in'
I did a search for config.c.in, but didn't find anything.

At this point, I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Crying or Very sad

wriker

Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:59 pm
If I remember right, you need to install the Python libraries or development files. Pretty sure that's it. Just grab them from the Package Manager.

Also, rem out #export REDHAT_WEIRDNESS=TRUE

I will check back more often to see if you have encountered more troubles.

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner.

Let me know how it goes for ya'.

Wriker Very Happy

dcuny

Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:45 am
wriker wrote:
If I remember right, you need to install the Python libraries or development files. Pretty sure that's it. Just grab them from the Package Manager.

Well, I tried that, but it wanted to remove a couple things from my system first. Well, more like everything on my machine...:
  • basesystem-9.0.3-mdk
  • drakconf-9.1-11mdk
  • drakcronat-0.1.3-1mdk
  • drakfirsttime-0.91-12mdk
  • drakxtools-9.1-26mdk
  • drakxtools-newt-9.1-26mdk
  • eroaster-2.1.0-6mdk
  • galaxy-kde-kwin-0.2.-18mdk
  • gdm-2.4.1.3-5mdk
  • gnome-panel-2.2.0.1.6-mdk
  • gnome-session
  • gnome-telenet
  • gnome-utils
  • gnome
  • gnorpm
  • gnucash
  • gurpmi
  • harddrake
  • hardrake-ui
  • kdbg
  • kde-i18n-eng
  • kdeadmin...
The list goes on and on (past the end of the dialog), but you get the idea. Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions?

wriker

Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:01 pm
Not sure why it wants to do that. I'm posting a links to snapshots of my package manager and what I have installed as far as Pythong goes. I remember when trying to compile for the first time, I got the same message you did and installed the python files.

http://www.qlug.org/3d/snapshot1.png
http://www.qlug.org/3d/snapshot2.png (copy paste them)

The first snap is a search in "files" for python. The second is in "names". Search and see what you have compared to mine and we can go from there. Also, to speed things up, you can E-mail me at tcs @ qlug .org (no spaces). I will help you all I can. If you want to just have binary for now to use, I can put a link on the site for you to grab the one I made yesterday of Tuhopuu.

Thanks,

Wriker

dcuny

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:09 am
Thanks, but I'll just wait for the next official release of Blender. It should be ready in a couple weeks, and I suspect that's how long it'll take me to get it compiled on my machine. Rolling Eyes

I appreciate the time you've taken, though. Smile

wriker

Posted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:27 pm
I wish I could have helped you a lot more. It's kinda nice being able to compile the latest and greatest but I uderstand what you mean.

If every you want to try out Tuhopuu, let me know. I will gladly send a binary your way that all you have to do is click on to run.

I'm looking forward to the 2.27 release myself and can't wait to try it out.

Question, if you don't mind, how long have you been using Blender?

Thanks,

Wriker Smile

dcuny

Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:12 am
wriker wrote:
I wish I could have helped you a lot more. It's kinda nice being able to compile the latest and greatest but I understand what you mean.
There are more than enough features in Blender to keep me busy for a while. If someone folds Yafray into Tuhopuu, then I'll really be chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. Smile

Quote:
If every you want to try out Tuhopuu, let me know. I will gladly send a binary your way that all you have to do is click on to run.
I'm on a 56K dialup, so you could email me the url at dcuny_foo@lanset.com, but remove the _foo bit. (Email the URL, not the code! Confused)

Quote:
Question, if you don't mind, how long have you been using Blender?
I've been tinkering with it for a number years, but I've never totally gotten my brain around it. I fear I'm a perpetual newbie at this.

The current interface is lightyears ahead of the older version, but stuff like skinning are still too difficult to do without a step-by-step manual. But that's coming along in the future, too.

Now, if it had a Wings3D style modeller, I'm not sure I could ask for anything more. Wink

Well, maybe some tools to make character animation a bit simpler.

The sad truth is 3D animation is hard, and probably requires more time and effort than I can devote to it. Still, I have fun dabbling. Smile

Jump to: