Game Engine consitency / compatability 2.25, .27 and further

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Qbertino

Game Engine consitency / compatability 2.25, .27 and further

Postby Qbertino » Sun May 11, 2003 3:10 am

Hello Folks.
I have a question that kinda goes in the direction of the developers and the maintainers of the 'main' devtree. I gather there are more than one developement trees of blender. One "Topawuhahu" or something and one called BF (whatever that is...), no?

Whatever, here's my question:
With all the excitement going on after we've free'd Blender and everybody with a grasp of C(++) and 3D programming is fiddling about in the sourcecode and de-weeding it I'd like to know how consistent the game engine will be in further developement.
In other words: If I start building and programming a larger game in the original 2.25 Publisher, will I still be able to load and run and publish it in versions to come?
If not (grrr!), will there be serious benefits from that, namely Python 2.2 and - at least - documentation compatability to the GameKit Book (It arrived the other day - great piece of work, thanks!) ?
Will I be able to follow the docs and references and have the stuff still work out?

This is probably a 'Ton'-level question, since he's offical dictator for life and has the last word on this (so I presume), but maybe somebody has enough insight to give a hint what the gameengine is in for in the near future.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Qbertino - member of the Blender community

Lorca

Postby Lorca » Mon May 12, 2003 2:55 am

:D Nice Question!

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Re: Game Engine consitency / compatability 2.25, .27 and fur

Postby Michel » Mon May 12, 2003 9:30 am

Qbertino wrote:I have a question that kinda goes in the direction of the developers and the maintainers of the 'main' devtree. I gather there are more than one developement trees of blender. One "Topawuhahu" or something and one called BF (whatever that is...), no?

Yes, the bf-blender tree is the stable tree. Development of new and exciting features is done in Tuhopuu.

Qbertino wrote:Whatever, here's my question:
With all the excitement going on after we've free'd Blender and everybody with a grasp of C(++) and 3D programming is fiddling about in the sourcecode and de-weeding it I'd like to know how consistent the game engine will be in further developement.
In other words: If I start building and programming a larger game in the original 2.25 Publisher, will I still be able to load and run and publish it in versions to come?
If not (grrr!), will there be serious benefits from that, namely Python 2.2 and - at least - documentation compatability to the GameKit Book (It arrived the other day - great piece of work, thanks!) ?
Will I be able to follow the docs and references and have the stuff still work out?

The current situation is that most developers are interested in working on the 'offline' blender sources. Ofcourse one of the reasons is that the gameengine is still lacking the Physics. Now that the physics engine (Solid) will be released under some free license, it can be integrated back into Blender again. Work on that will probably start soon after the engine has been released - which is July 6th.

My guess is that any new development in that area will keep the compatibility with the previous versions. Ofcourse, I cannot give you any guarantees :twisted: . But so far, we try to stay compatible with previous versions as much as possible - in the 'offline' blender part that is.

Qbertino wrote:This is probably a 'Ton'-level question, since he's offical dictator for life and has the last word on this (so I presume), but maybe somebody has enough insight to give a hint what the gameengine is in for in the near future.

Haha :) . Well Ton is not playing the dictator - for which I'm glad. He's giving us all the freedom we would ever want. There are three persons who have a final say in things, and Ton is not one of them. Ton is always there for advice and opinions!

With regards,
Michel

Return to “Interactive 3d”